Eighteen

•there was a time jump to season 3 in s19 so i did it here, too. about 3-4 months have passed•

"Mallie?!" someone shouted, gently tapping Mallie's cheeks. "Mallie?! Mallie, wake up!" they shouted.

Mallie groaned quietly, blinking through the heaviness clouding her vision. Jackson Avery's face loomed above her and she squinted. She only then registered that she was lying on the floor and pain was coursing throughout her body.

"What the hell are you doing here, Avery? Aren't you supposed to be shacking up with Vic?" Mallie mumbled.

"Okay, you're okay," Jackson sighed.

"What happened?" Mallie asked.

"A car crashed through the front of the bar. You got knocked out by a bunch of bricks. I don't want you to move, okay? You could have injuries and we don't want to risk paralysis," Jackson said.

Mallie frowned.

"Paralysis? What the fuck? I can't be paralysed. I'm a firefighter," Mallie said.

"I know. I'm gonna give you a very quick exam, okay?" Jackson said.

"Be respectful. Amelia will, uh, she'll uh," Mallie trailed off. "I don't know the word," she said.

Jackson grabbed a torch and carefully pointed it at her eyes.

"We have a possible brain bleed over here!" Jackson shouted.

"What? Who is it?" Ben called back.

"Mallie," Jackson said, feeling his stomach sinking as Mallie's eyes rolled back in her head. "Hey, hey, Mallie, I need you to stay with me, alright?" he said, cupping her cheeks.

"Okay," Mallie mumbled tiredly, blinking up at him.

"Talk to me. Why were you at the bar tonight?" Jackson said.

"Because Saffie called me, said she'd meet me here. Where is she?" Mallie asked.

"Where the hell is Saffie?!" Jackson yelled.

"She's at the bar! She's got a broken arm, that's it," Pruitt called back.

"She's okay, Mallie. Keep talking to me. Why were you guys meeting?" Jackson said.

"'Cause, uh, she left a few months ago. And she reached out, said she'd gotten help and wanted to talk to me. I was walking in and then you woke me up," Mallie mumbled.

"Keep talking to me, Mal. We haven't caught up in a while. Fill me in," Jackson said, pulling up her shirt to examine her abdomen.

"Well, uh, I gave a statement at Mer's hearing. Alex, he asked me to do it. She got off. It was cool," Mallie mumbled.

"I know. Keep going," Jackson nodded, wincing when he felt how rigid her abdomen was.

"Zola had to have emergency surgery because of her spina bifida, but she's okay. I made her churros afterwards," Mallie said.

"I love your churros. Keep going," Jackson said.

"That's it," Mallie said. "Jackson, it really hurts. What's wrong with me?" she said.

"Well, I'm suspecting a possible brain bleed. Maybe a bad concussion. And, uh, I'm guessing some internal bleeding. No broken bones, from the looks of things. I just need you to keep talking and stay awake until we can get out of here and we can get you into surgery," Jackson said.

"Can you make sure that Amelia doesn't operate if I have a neuro problem?" Mallie winced as the car horn started sounding again. "I don't want her to see me like this," she said.