Chapter Thirty Eight

Queenie was able to get off work early by pretending to be ill, so the two of them went back to her flat. She got a little tour of their home and Eleanor put the little belongings she had in their guest room.  After getting settled, Queenie invited her out to take a little tour of the city and show Eleanor her favorite spots before Newt arrived. 

"This place, The Coffee Pot, opened in February and it's my favorite place right now to get a hot cup." Queenie said while holding the door open for her friend. They walked up to the counter, it was pretty empty inside and Eleanor wondered why Americans loved coffee so much. "Two hot coffees please."

Eleanor took her cup from Queenie and they went to sit down in a corner to chat. 

"So tell me about your man, oh yeah honey, you really are head over heels for him, huh? A whole suitcase full of creatures? Isn't that dangerous? Well I suppose you're right." Queenie looked like she was having a whole conversation with herself. Eleanor couldn't help but laugh at her. 

"Sorry for laughing, I haven't even said a word. I love how you can read how I feel. It's refreshing not having to explain myself." Eleanor smiled and so did Queenie. 

"That's so nice of you to say. People usually just get annoyed with me. I can't help it, really. It's like a million little voices in my head." She said while making the crazy signal with her finger at her head. They finished their coffee and headed back out. 

"Maybe we should head to the harbor. Newt should be here by now and I don't want him getting lost." Eleanor said and the girls stood up to head outside. 

"Do you want to walk or apparate?" Queenie asked. 

"I don't mind the walk, I'd like to get familiar with my surroundings." Eleanor replied. 

"Alright, well central park is over there. It's a great place to go to get away from everything. Very peaceful area." Queenie told her about all of the small hidden gems in the city. She pointed out a nice restaurant, a fun bar where she goes dancing, and when they started nearing the harbor, she pointed out the statue of liberty. They walked to where the boat was and noticed everyone was gone. 

"How long have they been docked? Did everyone get off?" Eleanor asked and looked at Queenie who was also looking around. She focused on one man standing by the customs desk. 

"They docked an hour ago. Everyone is off the boat." Queenie replied. 

"How do you know.. oh yeah. Never mind. That was silly." Eleanor and Queenie giggled at her mistake. "Well now we gotta find him. Which is usually really hard to be honest."

"Do you lose him a lot?" Queenie questioned. "Ah. Yeah I suppose it is rather difficult."

"Expecto Patronum," Eleanor conjured her patronus and told it to find Newt and tell him where The Goldsteins apartment was. 

"What a curious patronus." Queenie questioned. 

"It's a wampus cat," Eleanor smiled. 

"I know, it's one of our Ilvermorny houses." Queenie stated. 

"It's native to the Appalachians. They can hypnotize and use legilimency. Kinda like you" Eleanor said. 

"I wonder why that's your patronus." She said. 

"Don't know. It's always been this since I was able to produce one. My mom once told me about them and I thought they were pretty cool." She said. 

"Do you think we should go back to the apartment?" Queenie asked. 

"Sure, hopefully she found Newt." Eleanor said and linked arms with Queenie who apparated them back home. 

It had been a solid two hours since she sent out her patronus and there was no sign of Newt.