Thirty Eight||The Battle Begins

"Why aren't they attacking?"

"What are they waiting for?"

As soon as Baylen heard those words leave my mouth, the fire in his eyes erupted into a glowing mess of flames trapped burning behind a glass door. They're here. Baylen and I had returned to our group to inform them the Kellso were near. The air around us became tense with the mix of emotions.

"Are you sure they're here?"

Although I could hear the conversation around me, I was too busy focusing on controlling the shadows that clawed at my skin. I felt like I was going to be ripped in half by the pressure they built inside me.

"Navi?"

The shadows lashed out like a wild cat defending itself against a predator, all tooth and claw. I reined them in, but the pressure inside of me continued to build as I wouldn't let them escape my hold.

"Navi." Fire touched my skin, lighting my insides with the warmth of a blazing wildfire. I almost relaxed at the touch, but the shadows wanted to devour the flames. "Focus, Navi. You need to get yourself under control."

My eyes, I didn't realize I had squeezed shut, opened to peer into a gleaming inferno of red and orange. Baylen's eyes were as bright as I had ever seen them. The flames trapped within his eyes had completely snuffed out the darkness his eyes normally held. And as Baylen looked into mine, I could see his frown deepen.

"Navi..." My head snapped to the voice that called my name. I felt an erratic wind hit my face as I stared at Ton. "Your eyes are pitch black."

I turned my face away from everyone as I stared at the ground in shame. They were already panicked as it is. Seeing me in this state most likely didn't help their worrying. Get a grip on yourself, Navi. I scolded myself.

"Twoleg," Naxan called through the bond. "Swarm is moving."

My breath hitched as I realized the suspense the Kellso had created was coming to an end. They were here but waited for what seemed like forever to put their plans into action. They were marching, and we were their target.

"Naxan told me they're on the move now." My voice was shaky and quiet as I spoke. The boys around me became rigid. I took a deep breath in as I felt the shadows inside of me sway with delight. They wanted this. They wanted a fight, a war to explode in front of them. I felt disturbed by their need for action that would result in bloodshed. But really, I had to force myself to feel disgusted by these thoughts. I was just as guilty as feeling their desires and wanting the same as well. What have I become?

"Is everyone ready?" Baylen asked as he straightened to his full height. I looked around at everyone's faces and could tell they were physically ready. I knew they were carrying weapons somewhere, just as I was, but their mental state was crumbling away in masses of fear and panic. They were terrified of what was to come, and so was I. I couldn't deny that part. But when I thought of the blood and guts that would soon be on the end of my sword, why did the shadows within me purr with satisfaction? It was sickening. No, I was sickened by the fact I had to force myself to feel negative emotions toward the thought of blood and war. I realized now I was no longer myself and that my powers were slowly tainting my mind with the horrors from their past.

Once Baylen overlooked our group of people, he began to list where everyone should be until the Kellso arrived. He had us take different positions at each door and window, so we covered the entrances where they may come from. My biggest concern was the largest window in the room which took up the majority of the wall. Baylen, Aelric and I were on this part while the rest of the group covered the large and wide archway. There was only one entrance to this place, but the Kellso may decide to break open the window and come from there.