5

The first time you met Akito was quite a strange encounter.

It was when you were just sitting in the middle of the living room at the table. The wooden doors leading outside were left open, letting fresh air in.

It was just a typical, sunny day, when all of a sudden, a boy appeared right next to you. 

He was leaning uncomfortably close to your face to get a good look at you.

He had jet black hair and dark, purple eyes. He had this somewhat menacing aura that surrounded him. He inspected your face and smirked.

"Interesting. I've never seen a person as young as you with eyes as lifeless as a doll."

You didn't care. You just looked down at the wooden table without a single thought.

"I heard your mother died and your whole family neglected you. A girl like you doesn't belong anywhere." He stood up. "There really isn't much to you. You're quite boring. Anyway, I'll allow you to stay here since it doesn't seem like you give a damn about life."

He left through the open doors leading outside and came across Shigure and Yuki coming back from the store.

Yuki froze when he saw him. "See you later, Yuki." Akito got in his ride and left.

Yuki hurried to go check on you. He saw that you were sitting in the same place he left you.

You never tried opening up to Yuki and Shigure during your stay. You just did what you were told. If they told you to eat, you ate. If they told you to sleep, you slept. Akito was right. You were as lifeless as a doll.

You looked over at Yuki reading his book on the porch.

He really is handsome, but that's all there is to him. He probably never had to endure any suffering in his life.

You hated those kinds of people. The ones who lived a sheltered life under the protection of their parents. People who had everything they wanted and didn't know a single thing when it came to the outside world.

You didn't have much to start with, but you used to have everything you wanted. Now, you had nothing left.

Did it even matter if you were alive? Would anyone care if you were gone? No one came to your mind.

You stood up and went into the kitchen. You opened the drawer for the utensils and took out a knife. You held the knife over your arm.

All of a sudden, a hand grabbed your wrists. You looked up. It was Yuki.

He looked at you with a pained expression. That wasn't the face of someone who's been sheltered his whole life. "I know how you feel, but just know that I care if you hurt yourself like that," he said.

"Are you telling me that I'm a bother?" you asked with an unchanging expression.

Liar. Why would he care about someone he just met a few days ago?

"I never once thought of you as a bother."

"Then why are you acting like this? Is it pity? Sympathy? Don't even bother giving me bullshit and just leave me alone." You tried pulling away from him, but he held on.

"I'm not acting like this out of pity or sympathy." He tugged you closer to him. Your face was at least an inch away from his. "At first, I didn't think anything of it. You were just a regular person to me, but the more I watched you, the more you reminded me of what I used to be like in the past. All alone, traumatized, scared. All I wanted was to have someone by my side that wouldn't abandon me."