Chapter Twenty One - Casual Sex and Late Night Visits

Daniel and I ordered pizza after we got back to the condo and lounged around watching movies. He didn't have much energy for anything else. After spending the evening with him, I took my usual bus ride home, pushing the doors open with a huff. I couldn't shake the anger I was feeling. I was beyond livid.

"Emily," Ms. Smith greeted me as I entered.

I groaned loudly, "What mail can you possibly be checking, Ms. Smith?" I snapped.

She looked taken aback for a moment. "I just got food delivered," she raised a brown bag and I stared at it begrudgingly. "Are you okay?"

"Peachy," I responded shortly, walking up the stairs.

"I think you might have a secret admirer. I saw your roses." Ms. Smith grinned at me as she followed me up the steps.

"No secret admirer there."

"Ooh, that's exciting!" She chirped happily.

I turned around abruptly as I reached my door, "It's from my ex who had sex with another woman while we were in a relationship with his fitness instructor on a gym membership that I was paying for. Is there anything else you'd like to know?"

She gaped at me looking lost for words. I turned around and slammed the door in her face. I knew she didn't deserve it. I knew she was old and bored and had never received a single visitor here. I knew all this, but I couldn't hold back today.

I sighed in frustration, tossing myself onto my bed, guilt slowly creeping onto me. I groaned, throwing my phone onto the floor, shrugging out of my clothes, slipping into a pair of short shorts and a tank top, and tossing my bra off while I was at it.

I grabbed a container of cookies I had stored in the fridge and plopped onto the couch, putting the TV onto something mindless. I relished in the fact that I currently felt like a complete slob.

I must have fallen asleep with a cookie still in my hand when my phone rang.

"Hey Ashley," I mumbled into the receiver groggily. I stood up stretching, and discarded the evidence of my embarrassing evening quickly.

"Hey! Did I wake you?"

"Not all of us live the nightlife," I yawned in response checking the clock. 12 AM.

"Not anymore! I'm officially on daytime news! Come two weeks that is. Can you believe it?" She screamed effectively waking me up.

"That's amazing! I'm so happy for you!"

She sighed contentedly, "Thank you!"

"How are things with Jim?" I asked curiously. The last I heard she had dropped Jim off at home with a minor hairline fracture, which should be healed in a few weeks. I walked to the bathroom and grabbed my toothbrush, beginning to brush my teeth.

"Oh, we had sex," she stated nonchalantly.

I choked on toothpaste, "Sorry, what?" I spluttered.

I could hear her smile through the phone, "It's just casual for now, but jeez was I right about him having a great ass."

I laughed, "There goes our yoga classes. I'm not sure if I can deal with the sexual tension between you two and focus on my zen."

"Lucky for me I get to do both at his house, on my couch, in the shower."

"Too much information, Ashley."

I cleaned the kitchen after hanging up with Ashley, trying to get my frustrations out by scrubbing the week old residue lingering on my stovetop. I felt too angry to sleep.