XXI

Glancing down at the water below Liz was shocked to see the deep blue turning black. The best way she could describe it was when you knocked over a bottle of ink on a paper. You couldn't do anything but helplessly watch, as black ink would soak into the paper. Slowly and unnaturally the water seemed to be changing its colour as though it was experiencing its own poison. Neither Edward or the Captain beside her said anything, their grips on the side of the sip merely tightened, Liz could swear she saw nail dents forming under the Captain's fingers.

"What's going on?" Liz whispered in confusion and a mix of fear as the winds warmth vanished and was replaced with a bitter chill that nipped at her skin. The two men stared at each other without saying a word as they nodded in agreement.

"To the Brig men!" The Captains order was sharp and quick. It made Liz jump at the power in his voice as all the men looked at him for a mere second before they abandoned their post and quickly made their way above deck.

"Ed what's going on?" Liz didn't like the cold chill shivering down her spine as she saw the seriousness in her brother's face. It made him look older than his age as he gripped tightly to the ships wheel and didn't look at her.

"Come on Duchess! Now isn't the time to be defiant" The Captain spoke impatiently before he gripped her by her forearm and practically threw her down below deck. She instinctively froze at his harsh grip but he didn't notice in his desperate attempts to get her safely below deck. Glancing up towards her brother in confusion she could see the skies had started to get unnaturally darker, the wind softly picking up as the galaxy colours of the stars were quickly turning to black.

"What is going on?" Liz hissed towards the Captain as he kept her in front of him as a way to ensure she didn't bolt back above deck.

"Sirens" Was all he said as her eyes widened.

"Wha...but they don't....are you serious?" The words struggling to fall from her lips as the Captain growled at her stupidity and continued to gently push her towards the brig. She had never seen anyone so serious in all her life, these men truly believed in sirens and if she remembered the myths correctly they were deadly.

"MY BROTHER'S UP THERE! WE CAN'T LEAVE HIM!" She screamed out in anger turning to face the Captain as he merely rolled his eyes and scooped her over his shoulder. He ignored Liz's protest, her legs kicking in the air, her hands bashing against his back as he stormed down the hall with authority and determination, reaching for the keys that were hanging off his hip.

Above deck Edward held his position firm, guiding the ships through the calm waters as the winds began to pick up. If he strained his ears he could hear his sister protesting below deck, she could really scream when she wanted to. He felt sorry for his Captain but was thankful he was taking care of her as Edward did his duty to take care of his fellow men. Edward wasn't affected by the Sirens calls like his fellow men. He heard their singing; he would actually hear Charlotte's voice calling for him however the hypnotic trance didn't grip him for some reason. He considered himself lucky; he believed it was because he was so in love with Charlotte even after all this time thinking she was dead that he wasn't affected. Whether his theory was true or not he didn't want to risk losing his sister.

Below deck members of the crew were gathering in the cells, as the Captain was quick to lock them in securely. They didn't complain, in fact they were pushing each other to get in quicker. The only time a pirate will ever be happy to be locked up in a cell. Goosebumps started rise on Liz's skin as the temperature started to get colder. Somehow she knew deep down in her belly that the Siren's were already upon them.

"Quickly!" The Captain placed his palm on her lower back pushing her into the next cell as he joined her and began to lock them in. Glancing around a cold shiver went down her spine.