Truth Of The Matter

Uncharted Territory

Time? Unknown.

I still can't believe I am in this mess. Mate! Remember if you go off now, I may be dead before yer return. That should excite yer Lisa. My inheritance to you is quite the hefty one. 

Not that I want to remember those words my grandfather Grey told me before I packed up a sack and hitchhiked to the airport. Not that I want to hear those words again and again and again like a song on replay.

Truth of the matter is, that honey like voice rattling in my mind is the only peace and comfort I have in this darkness.   

As I stand in the angry rain that beats upon my goose bumped skin I gaze anxiously along a large expanse of water that leads to nothing but abyss beyond. Waves beat against the coral rocks along the shoreline as I sprint away from screaming and chants coming from the dense jungle behind.

Truth of the matter is. I don't feel like coming here to this godforsaken place was the wisest decision I've made since dropping out of high school and trying my hand at sculpting statues. 

Only feet apart. Hot on my heels. They are right on me. Gaining speed. Howling louder. Like muck, the sand slows my pace and it's up on the rocks I go to the highest point I can pine for. Up. Then down. Again and again. The breeze filters through my hair and freshly opened skin on my ankles and toes. I'm heaving, looking behind me as the noises start morphing into shapes through the mist. 

Use your weapon. Use your weapon.

Nothing... I have absolutely nothing. 

Find your weapon. Find your weapon. 

"Lisa. You have nothing!" I scream at myself before I stop running. A slight dampness blows over my face. Wind drifts my hair and my red locks fall heavily over my cheeks. I am crying, as the rain adds to my water works. I can hear my grandfather calling my name in my head before that goes silent. Do I even dare to face the predators and try my game at staying alive again? 

I fall to my knees on the sand and reach for a crabs detached claw. I sculpt into the sand like I used to hold my chisel, scrawling with effort. 

My name is Lisa Stride. And, truth of the matter is. I think this will be my grave. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vi Here! Hope you liked this banging beginning to the story! The chapters will be longer and will jump between her past and present in first person present POV, so think of this start as a short introduction like a prologue 💟 

Let me know what you thought of Lisa Stride and her personality! Do you think she will meet her fate this way or find a way out of this mess? Who do you think could be chasing her and why?