45. 𝗴𝗼𝗱, 𝗶𝘁'𝘀 𝗯𝗿𝘂𝘁𝗮𝗹 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲

THEY SAY HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS. Normally, Eszter would always answer that, but nothing felt the same anymore after certain events. Maybe it was the emotional disturbance that crashed Eszter's world, and the witch had finally snapped, or maybe it was Wesley appearing out of the blue, calling her a witch. Eszter's world changed within a matter of seconds, and she wasn't sure what was real at this point; the idea of claiming Pepper's home as her own felt like a joke, and Eszter was kidding herself if she thought she could reside there and acting like her life hadn't spiraled more out of control.

A lost soul scouring the earth, searching for her place when she only felt out of place.

Somehow, Eszter's feet trailed along the concrete ground after she had appeared outside in the woods, nightfall settled in the sky. Green eyes shimmered with the stars practically dancing in her eyes, and the moonlight shining down on her face. Eszter warped the magic up and down her body, transforming her suit into casual clothing. Hesitancy lingers on her face as she gazes at the familiar cabin, reminiscing the one memory linked with other memories that still haunt Eszter's thoughts.

Eszter approaches the cabin with a shaky breath and walks up the steps of the front of the home. The woods creak beneath her shoes, whining under the weight as Eszter found herself standing at the front door; hesitating, Eszter stared at the door as her heart began to pound loud in her ears, and it seemed to be the only sound that she could hear. Blood running cold and head feeling light, Eszter was sure she was going to pass out. The witch blinks slowly as she catches her breath, fighting the fear and guilt trapped inside her mind.

Finally, Eszter tapped her knuckles against the first door before pulling her hand back into the pockets of her sweater, taking a step back. She waited for nearly a minute when the door finally opened, Pepper's voice cutting through mid-sentence as the woman reels the door open.

Noticing Eszter at the door, Pepper frowns. "Eszter, honey, what are you doing here?" Concerned, the blonde woman opens the door wider. "You're supposed to be on your trip. What are you doing back so soon?"

Eszter forced a smile on her face, but her eyes were burning. "Yeah, we were, but a lot happened; we got sent home pretty early."

Pepper smiles in puzzlement. "I didn't get a call about you guys arriving?" She leans against the door frame, wondering the truth, but Pepper has grown to know much about Eszter, and the woman could tell there was something Eszter wasn't telling her. Pursing her lips into a tight smile, Pepper bobs her head. "Doesn't matter. I'm glad you're here. Morgan's been missing you like crazy. Want something to eat?"

Slipping the door wider and moving aside, Pepper motioned for Eszter to enter the building; obliging, Eszter walked past Pepper and stepped into the familiar cabin, trailing her eyes over the room as she soaked in the view. Like it would be the last time she'd see it, Eszter wanted to remember the way everything looked and the memories she created.

"Uh . . . yeah, I can eat, actually."

Pepper nods as she closes the door after Eszter, locking it before making her way into the kitchen while the witch meekly trails behind her; Eszter peels out of her sweater and hangs it over her chair, sliding into the seat as she sits at the island to watch Pepper whip something up. Deciding to go special on the food, Pepper decided to make them both avocado toast with eggs on top. The two let the silence fill the space with a knowing tension rising inside, leaving Pepper skeptical and drowning in questions; however, it was as if the blonde woman knew Eszter was upset because Pepper didn't want to interrogate the girl.

Eszter was grateful.

"So . . ." Pepper scrambles the eggs while pulling out a handful of spinach, then cutting it into the pan. "How are Michelle and Ned?"