chapter thirty-eight (ii): fullsun

"And perspectives matter a lot not to me but, to you. Your career, your future, they have a very close link with reputation and continuing to see me would damage it. I don't want that. They can rip mine all they want, it doesn't really matter for me but you, you're a different story.
"And I don't want you to take the risk and sacrifice your position just to stay with me. I know-"

Hyuck's grip tightens around the innocent teddy's soft paw as her recorded voice starts cracking and again, she pauses.

Just from listening to it blindly, his throat begins to clench and the pain heightens- eyes water and heart aches.

"I know th-that this might not be the perfect decision. But, I believe that for now, this is the right choice for you. And I know that we always said that the world around us doesn't matter but in reality, it really does. It really, freaking does.
"So, with you, it was the prettiest dream I could ever have while it lasted. But now that I'm awake, I have to move on and you do too. So, lift your ass up from that bed, Donghyuck. I know, you've been slacking.
"Get back to work so I can see you more and more on screen, hm? You're a really amazing and strong person, Donghyuck. And I'm grateful that I met you.
"Thank you for everything. I love you."

Beep!

The message ends.

His hand continues to hold the paw, unable to let go but then, slowly lets it fall as he proceeds to pull out the warm, pastel yellow album inside the box- again, a bright yet, soft colour that reminds him of a sunflower.

He outlines the edges with his fingers first, taking his time to admire expensive, cotton-y cover and he flips it open.

Inside are pages filled with photos of them together and some, by himself which she took almost all the time and nearly every time does he catch her taking them.

He doesn't mind, though. He likes the attention and Eunwol knew that so she kept doing it, as well. It was a win-win situation.

All the photos either had goofy faces, genuine smiles or just complete candid but, leafing through them only pains him more and more as memories of all the time they spent together rush in.

Knock, knock.

"Haechan-ah, we're havingㅡ Haechan... Are you okay?" Taeil asks with concern at the sight of Haechan with red, glossy eyes overflowing with tears while cheeks and nose are flushed pink at the overload of emotions.

The younger sniffs, wanting to respond with his usual, "I'm fine," but, whatever sorcery it is, he blurts out the complete opposite.

"No, I'm not okay. I-I'm not okay at all," he stammers and starts breaking down once again, more worse than the last.
"I w-want to go back, hyung... I want to see her again."

Taeil rushes to envelope the baby of their unit who starts to bawl his eyes out and howl in grief- desperately yearning.

Haechan tightly hugs the oldest and lies his head on his shoulder- dampening the other's shirt with his hot, bitter tears.

"My chest, it hurts. It hurts so bad,,. Help me, hyung."

Taeil can only listen to his pleads as he pats his back comfortingly.

Haechan's breaths are disorderly, shaky and quick as he digs his head deeper onto Taeil's shoulder- muffling his wails and clenching his jaw at the million daggers he feels within.

"I just need her back here with me."