Runaway Bride // B.B. [BLURB]

Benedict pants heavily as his feet slap on the concrete; his arms pump furiously as he pushes himself faster and faster, desperate to get there before the fateful words are spoken.

None of this was right. None of it.

From the very moment he laid eyes on you, he knew that you were the one. You felt the same too, knowing full well that your heart would only belong to Benedict.

But fate played a funny trick and now Benedict was shouting for people to get out of his way so he could be on time to stop the wedding.

Your wedding.

Benedict had found himself in love with someone already promised to another. A sick trick played by the fates that Benedict needed to stop; you had told him that you were never to be truly happy unless married to him.

The church comes into sight and Benedict only runs faster. He doesn't think about his state of dress, or the sweat pouring down his face. He only thinks of you and his love for you.

Pushing open the large wooden doors to the church, Benedict is relieved to find he has arrived just in time for the priest to finish saying, "If anyone can show just cause why this couple cannot lawfully be joined together in matrimony, speak now or forever hold your peace."

"No!" He cries, voice bouncing around the cavernous room, "This marriage cannot go ahead."

"Pray tell me," The priest starts, "Why?"

"I love her," Benedict states as plain as day, gesturing to where you stand in white. "I love her and she loves me. I want to marry her, I can't imagine my life without her."

Your family, at this point, have started to raise their voice in protest. Spluttering words that should never be uttered on sacred ground, but your family could care less as they reach for Benedict as he walks down the aisle.

"You asked if there's a reason these two should not be married and I have one: a marriage without love is not a marriage at all."

Benedict keep hold of your gaze as he makes his argument, states his case. His hair is messed up from the room and his chest heaves not only from the exercise but of the sheer emotion running though his body.

He cannot let you do this. He cannot let you throw your life away with a man you do not love for the sake of your family's happiness. It wasn't right, not when he was so blindly in love with you and willing to risk his reputation by crashing your wedding.

"Just say the word and I'm yours," Benedict pants, ignoring the outraged cries of your family.

You glance between Benedict and fiancé who has taken a questionable step back and remained silent through the whole exchange. Throwing caution to the wind, you hand your bouquet to your maid of honour. Smiling widely at Benedict, you take his outstretched hand, letting him lead you from the church.

"They're never going to speak to me again," You whisper, too wrapped up in your happiness to care too much right now.

"I'll be your family," Benedict promises, blue eyes sparking in the bright sunshine.

"I really want to kiss you right now," You state, ignoring the shocked gasps from passers-by. Benedict lets out a light laugh at your words, "I'm fairly certain I just proposed to you, I think you're fine to kiss me."

Tugging Benedict in by the lapels of his well-fitting jacket, you smile at the Bridgerton. "It's a good job I accept your proposal then," You say as you press your lips to his, setting up your future on the steps of the church you had run away from.