Chapter 1

10 years ago

"Uhh, Would they stop already!" a voice exclaimed as a phone kept ringing loudly as a small short brown haired woman stood in her apartment, a painting canvas in front of her as she held up a brush.

"You're distracting me!" Karin shouted glaring down at the ringing phone on the side as it held the name 'Sohma Family' before signing loudly.

"Uhh fine!" she shouted grabbing the phone as placing it to her ear "Hello?" she questioned with annoyance.

"Karin, you need to come home. We have unfortunate news" The person spoke as the woman's eyes furrowed in confusion as she looked down and then back towards a photo of a women with brown haired and a young boy. 

"She's dead?" Karin asked, now stood in front of a person who's face Karin could hardly recognise as they nodded. Karin fell to the floor "She killed herself?" the women questioned again.

"Unfortunately" the person spoke as Karin's eyes were wide as she looked to the floor before she gasped remembering back to a child her sister had. 

"And her child?" Karin questioned before she furrowed her brows on seeing the look of disgust on their face.

"That's why you're here" The person spoke as Karin looked up at them with a confused expression " The father wants nothing to do with him and you are the only other family he has" the person states.

"What?" Karin asked in confusion as the person sighed loudly.

"Your sister gave you guardianship of the cat" the person states as Karin's eyes were wide before she looked down, her memories of the kid who was only small and his bright eyes looking at her when she had briefly met him before as she gulped. 

"Where is he now?" Karin asked the person as they sighed loudly.

"Well Kazuma Sohma has offered to take him in, so if you want he can stay with the man. He's the owner of the dojo" the person states as Karin nodded.

"I guess i'm off to the dojo" Karin states as she walks down the path, her eyes with a sad expression on her face as she thinks back to her older sister as she sighed heavily as she gripped his fist tightly

"Why did you?" Karin questioned tears brimming her eyes but as she came to the dojo she wiped her tears as she walked towards the many people training outside.

"Hey!" Karin shouted, signalling the many different people as they looked at her as she walked over with a sigh "Where's your sensei? I need to speak with him" she stated while they all looked at her.

"I can take you to him if you want" One student says as Karin nodded towards the boy as he walked inside, Karin followed as she looked round.

"Sensei" the boy stated as he opened the door, Karin stood behind him as the said man hummed "There is a woman here to see you" he started opening the door further as Karin eyes trailed to him.

"Hello i'm-" Karin began but stopped as her eyes widened on seeing the man but more specifically the child who had orange range hair sat beside him, she gasped loudly looking at him.

"Hello, may I help you?" a voice interrupted as the woman's eyes widened snapping out of her daze as she looked at the man who wore a kimono and had long brown hair, her eyes snapped to him.

"Hi, I'm Karin Sohma" She introduced while Kazuma's eyes widened slightly on looking at the women while Kyo simply continued to stare.

"Your-" Kazuma was soon interrupted

"I'm Kyo's aunt" she stated as the orange haired boy's eyes widened as he looked up at the women to meet the same brown eyes of his mother as he looked at her and Karin back at the boy.

"You have legal guardianship" Kazuma now questioned while both him and Karin sat at a small table, tea in front of them as Karin sighed loudly gripping the cup and looking down at the contents.

"Yes and I know it's a bit late to be coming now but I was only just told '' Karin stated with a frown as Kazuma looked at her before he signed with a frown. 

"I'm sorry to hear that and about your loss" Kazuma states with a smile as Karin eyes widened as she looked at him before her lips trembled.

"Thank you" Karin stated as she looked down at the teacup in front of her "He seems happy here with you and i wouldn't want to take him away" She began as Kazuma looked at her his eyes looking at her facial expression

"But my sister wanted me to look out for him and that asshole of a father isn't going to do much but I would want to be part of his life" Karin stated as Kazuma looked at her in shock before he slightly became confused.

"He doesn't know you though, did you not see your sister?" Kazuma questioned as Karin looked down ashamed of herself as she gripped the cup tightly.

"No, once I left the sohma estate, I never came back and I guess I never wanted to see her, She sent me letters and pictures but i guess it was because...." Karin states with a frown as Kazuma looks at her.

"Because she gave birth to the cat?" Kazuma questioned as Karin stiffened and gasped as she looked up at him in shock and disbelief.

"Why should I be bothered about that? I could care less what spirit he is or whether he is one or not '' Karin stated as she sighed loudly and looked back down "It was because of the family itself, the sohma's" Karin started with a sighed.

"You don't have to ask my permission to see him, you can live here if you want with us" Kazuma stated with a smile as Karin's eyes widened as she shot up.

"What?" Karin said dumbfounded  before her eyes widened further" I-I didn't mean live with you two!" Karin started with a blush while Kazuma simply looked at her as he drank his tea.

"Why not? I have a spare room for you and that way you can always be with Kyo" Kazuma states with a smile while Karin blushed further looking at the man who simple stood there.

"I'm a painter, so I can be messy and I need room to paint!" Karin exclaimed as the man simply chuckled looking at the women.

"Don't worry there is more than enough room" Kazuma smiled as Karin's eyes were still wide before she looked down with a sigh.

"Thank you"