3. watching from afar

"THEY'RE STARING at you again," Inez whispered to Claudia from the Ravenclaw table on the first Wednesday of October, the three girls seated with their Transfiguration homework during their free period

"Again?" Claudia sighed as she turned around, causing the four marauders to break their stare and act as casual as possible; James hitting Peter as an manoeuvre, Peter hitting back, Sirius awkwardly observing the ceiling whilst whistling and Remus "reading" his book.

"We need to figure out why they are doing that," Betty said. "I mean don't get me wrong Claudia, you're gorgeous, but at this point it's kind of weird."

"Oh, I know Bets, it's downright creepy is what it is." Claudia sighed. "It's been going on too much for there to not be a reason behind it," she stated, recalling James seeing her cry the other day, as well as Remus catching her stealing that book.

But were they really this obsessive over things like that? They were just a group of teenage boys, why would they care that much over some silly books and tears? Crying is normal, and Remus hadn't seen her steal her next book, "Dracula", so it would be rather absurd of them if they really did stare at her just because of that.

"You really don't have any idea why?" Inez asked Claudia.

"No... well, maybe," she shrugged.

"Do tell!" Betty and Inez chorused in a freaky way. They did that sometimes, and Claudia thought that it was really weird but she didn't have the energy to even care about it anymore after five years of friendship.

"Well, Potter did catch me crying the other day."

"Why were you crying?" Betty asked, concern written all over her face.

"Meh, it was no big deal just my idiot stepbrother," she said as she rolled her eyes, Betty and Inez nodding intently. "He was telling me off for speaking to Re- I mean Lupin."

"Why did you speak to Lupin?" Inez asked suspiciously.

"Prefect stuff," she lied. "Anyways, Nolan was being rather rude about it, so I just left and hid in Myrtle's bathroom, and she kept telling me that I was "just like my brothers", and we all know how stupid they are so I got a bit upset. It was stupid really, but then Potter saw me crying and I told him to piss off, so maybe that's why they keep staring at me."

"Awe, but that's real sweet if that's the case," Betty pointed out, Inez rolling her eyes.

"The bare minimum," she sighed and Claudia laughed at Betty who rolled her eyes right back at Inez.

"I guess," she answered Betty. "But that still doesn't explain why they are staring at me all the time. It's getting exhausting."

"So talk to them," Inez urged.

"No! You can't just ask people why they are staring at you!" Betty exclaimed a little too loudly, which caused several Ravenclaws to look at them with annoyed expressions. "Sorry," Betty said apologetically with a grimace.