Chapter 19: Back For You

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~3 weeks later~~~~~~~~~~~~

My friends and I were upstairs, finishing up the last touches on our outfits for my birthday party. Knowing my friends, they have to make sure I have the best birthdays. But even one minute in, I knew it wasn't going to be. The most important people in my life: my dad, my mom, my brother, and my boyfriend, were all gone. But I promised to put on a smile and try to have fun tonight. Note I said try.

It's not that I don't like my friends. But no one has called me to say happy birthday: not my dad (but I figured he wouldn't be able to), not my brother, not even Louis. My mom did text me, but that's usually all I ever get from her. Did everyone forget about me or something?

"Oh my God Bo! That dress is so hot!" Tori screamed as I zipped up my teal strapless bodycon dress. I don't know if I'd consider it to be hot. But it's Tori, so it probably just means it's cute. And it is cute.

"Thanks." I smiled and walked over to my desk where our masks all sat. Mine was a pretty blue, matching my dress almost perfectly. It wasn't really my style, but this was a masquerade, meaning no one should be able to recognize me anyway.

Claire quickly curled my hair and then started on her own since I could never do it myself. I was more of a ponytail and sweats kind of girl, but I think you already know that. Soon enough, the party was only fifteen minutes away. We headed downstairs to make sure everything was set up perfectly, we meaning Claire and I. The house was covered in balloons and small tables filled with different kinds of food and drinks. I smiled as I noticed that everything was centered around my favorite color: aqua blue. We stepped out of the kitchen and family room area which led us to the backyard. Since my backyard is mostly concrete, we had it covered with a large dance floor, complete with changing colored lights on and facing the floor. Next to the floor was a station for the DJ, and across from that was a small stage. Behind all the party elements stood the beautiful ocean. Calm and silently moving across the moistened sand. I really do love having a beach house. Even if I'm alone.

After Claire checked that everything was set up right and the DJ had finally arrived, we headed back upstairs to finish getting ready. Of course, Kaitlyn made me wear heels. Two times in six months, this is not okay. I grabbed my mask and Claire helped me tie it up under my hair, that way it fit well enough that if I was dancing it wouldn't fall off. We heard the sound of the doorbell and quickly began to head downstairs. Claire's mom offered to come help with the party, which was super sweet of her, so she managed to answer the door. We stepped into the kitchen where about ten people stood, most of them being my team. They all ran up to us and gave us big hugs and then we showed them the backyard. Of course they loved it, and soon enough the doorbell rang again. And again. And again.

"Claire! I thought we agreed on a few friends! This is like a hundred people!" I shouted as the music started and everyone headed outside.

"Actually, its only fifty-six. And I hate to break it to you, Bo, but you're kind of popular." she smiled and we laughed, following the rest of the party outside.

The party was going pretty well. I was hanging out with Claire, Hailey, Tori, Kaitlyn, and my best guy friend, Matt, a lot but I did manage to mingle around. We were currently dancing at the front of the big crowd of people covering every inch of the dance floor. I was laughing and actually having a good time. I wasn't even bothered to think about Louis or anyone else that wasn't here now. Just my friends. The song ended and we all continued to laugh and jump around as another one of my favorites started up. I was dancing next to Matt when he shouted something in my ear over the music.

"Looks like you've caught someone's eye" he yelled, followed by a smirk and his finger pointing in a direction behind me. I looked in the direction Matt pointed to; finding a tall, dark figure doing a really bad job at sneaking looks at me. He was wearing a black button down, along with matching black slacks and shoes. His hair was a darker shade of brown, slicked back. Covering his face was a matching black mask. He was talking to some of the guys from the local men's team.