Drafts (Pt. 2)

A/N: This is the story of Jericho, set during the Mauraders time period.

__

"Well, Jericho is already a nickname, so— "

"Huh?"

Jericho cocked her head. "What? Are you guys telling me that you think my parents named my brother Ben and were creative enough to come up with Jericho?"

"You have a brother?" James asked incredulously. "What other secrets are you keeping, woman?"

Jericho ignored him. "Anyway, I don't need a nickname. So, don't bother."

"Who came up with— wait, what's your actual name?"

__

Ben rolled his eyes, shoving her away. "Go bother someone else."

"There's nobody to talk to— "

"Talk to the fucking moon then." He grumbled, turning back to his book. "Leave me alone."

Glaring, she left him alone and walked outside. It was past her curfew and the grass was soaking her socks, but Jericho just stared up at the moon. Ben was meanhe always had been, but ever since starting school, it had only gotten worse. She thought it would be justified if she sat outside until her parents got home and told them what he said. Maybe he'd finally get in real trouble instead of just her.

"Star-gazing?"

She jumped slightly, turning to look at the old manher neighbor, Sal. He was a muggle, unaware of who the Travers family really was. The child shrugged, toeing the grass. "More like moon-gazing."

"It is pretty beautiful right now."

She snorted. "Who caresit's just some dumb hunk of rock."

"I doubt that." He turned towards her, smiling. "Have you ever heard of the Moon City?"

__

"I just thought it sounded cool." She lied easily. "Besides, I was named after my mom— it was too confusing for us both to be Mia. And my middle name is Bernice— which didn't exactly fit either."

"Mia Bernice," James repeated, frowning. "You should definitely stick with Jericho— you're not a Mia."

Jericho snorted. "Anyways, I don't need a new nickname. So, can we finally do this dumb assignment?"

ONE

JERICHO

~

CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, Durmstrang was not a school for only boys. While most girls went to either Hogwarts or Beauxbatons, females had been known to attend the other European school. Jericho was one of four girls in her grade, one of a little over thirty throughout the entire school. Her older brother, Ben, had gone to Hogwarts but she was rejected from Beauxbatons and her parents decided she needed a strict learning environment or some bullshit. Even at eleven, Jericho had been a hellion in the most uncool ways. She cursed and spit and talked back to everyone in her family, but if anyone even joked about shoplifting she freaked out. Majorly.

It might've been because of this panic regarding actually illegal things that caused her to start crying in the middle of the Headmaster's office. She was beyond embarrassed, but her anger combined with the utter terror she felt as Karkov looked at her left her with tears in her eyes and clammy hands sweaty through the bandaids on her hands. The teacher had stared at her in shock, which only delayed what was to come. She partially wished the novelty of the tears lasted longer, but not even a full minute later, he was back to the stony-faced man who was ruining her life.

"Effective immediately, you are expelled from Durmstrang."

"I didn't do it— "

"Enough." He silenced with a growl, face darkening. "This school will not tolerate liars and thieves."

__

Two weeks later found her in the middle of a sea of teens, dressed in dark robes and surrounded by curious faces. Her father had pulled all the strings he had to get her in for the beginning of her Fifth year, the nearly-sixteen-year-old stuck living with him during breaks from then on. Her mother decided that she needed a break from being a parent— that had brought with a new set of issues, but at least she wouldn't have to deal with either of her parents until winter break.

She had been sorted a week before in the Headmaster's office— an odd experience to say the least. Right off the bat, everything at Hogwarts seemed a lot more . . . loose than her former school. Now, sporting a somewhat ugly red tie, she sat between dozens of other students, most trying to decide whether or not they recognized her. She straightened up slightly, looking towards the boy next to her.

"Do I have something on my face?" Jericho asked jokingly. The boy smiled at her, shaking his head.

"Only stupidity." He laughed. Chuckling, she offered her hand.

"I'm Jericho Burke."

"Burke— hey, we're cousins!" He exclaimed. "Sirius Black."

"So, why'd you switch to Hogwarts?" Sirius asked curiously, head cocked like a dog.

Jericho swallowed. "Might've gotten expelled."

The last part was whispered, but the dark-haired boy still heard, judging by the shock covering his face. "Durmstrang is the most hardcore school out there— What did you do?"

"Nothing you need to worry about."