Chapter 23 - Rift

TW:

Yelling

Fighting

------------

"Goddamit Tommy!" Growled Wilbur banging his fist into the side of the ravine. Tommy stood bravely not daring to flinch as Wilbur took out his anger on his youngest brother- not that Phil had actually told Tommy that. The brothers along with their father had forgotten to after the Helen fiasco and somehow continued to forget.

"Wilbur, I did nothing wrong," Tommy said softly trying to calm him down, "You told me to get dia-"

"No!" Wilbur interrupted exploding outwards pushing Tommy back against the wall of the ravine "I said go find a food supply- we won't need diamonds if we fucking die of hunger!"

"You told Techno to do that beca-" Tommy began before being cut off by a stinging pain in his nose. He wasn't an idiot, he knew that Wilbur had just punched him- he wanted so desperately to fight back, but he was freezing up as he had before. But this time there was no Eret to save him.

He could hear Wilbur's yells cascading around the ravine as he slowly sunk into a hunched position back still to the wall. The sounds were becoming awfully muffled as he tried but failed to hear what Wilbur was saying.

Loud and clear, cutting through the yelling were the sound of boots quickly clacking against the stone.

"Wilbur what the hell?!" growled Techno as he stepped between Tommy and Wilbur "I get that the pressure of banishment is getting to you but chill- Tommy was right, you asked me to make a food source and him to get diamonds!"

It was quiet for a moment as Wilbur's previously quick breathing slowed as he realized finally what he had done.

"Oh- oh god..." he whispered quietly before darting around Techno to crouch next to Tommy "Tommy, Tommy, sorry bud can you hear me? I'm so sorry- the pressure- I just-" Wilbur cut himself off not trusting to speak further.

Techno remained standing gazing down at the two, he wasn't as close to Tommy as Wilbur was but it still pained him to see the little boy look like this.

"Bring him to his bed," huffed Techno "He's probably exhausted after mining for hours, the fact that the arrow wound isn't fully healed doesn't help either."

Wilbur numbly nodded picking up Tommy gently as he carried him to his room.

----------------

Schlatt sat on his desk, watching the ticking clock, his aggravation growing every moment. He hadn't expected Helen to be there. He didn't even realize his actual son was on the server. Stupid really, that he hadn't recognized his own son.

The stupid woman had also made a scene by begging those stupid men to 'protect' Tommy.

He would have loved to have spoken to Tommy, but it was obvious that the boy was avoiding him for the remainder of the festival.

Honestly, it was shocking that the prison knowingly let the bail be paid despite knowing the server he was going to. He supposed maybe Puffy put in a good word of some sort but the woman had also avoided him during the festival.

It was odd, to say the least.

Finally, he huffed, wrenching his eyes away from the clock. This was doing him no use. It was midnight outside and he was just here sat in his office doing nothing.

Quietly, he exited the office, walking down the 'prime path' or whatever it was called. He froze at the sound of voices up ahead, ducking into the shadows of a nearby tower, looking out at the people talking.

There sat a sobbing blonde boy, being held tightly by Tubbo. The two sat at a small bench facing the cliffside, a tree behind them.

With a jarring realization, Schlatt recognized the blonde boy as Tommy, the boy he had exiled, his son. 

Tubbo was sitting with him, quietly comforting the other.

As much as that was a heartwarming display of friendship Schlatt couldn't help but be suspicious. Tommy was exiled along with Wilbur. Why was he here?

Schlatt unfortunately didn't stick around long enough to find out, slinking away from the two quickly. 

(Short chapter, not because I'm losing motivation- I've been extremely busy with school starting again- but because this chapter acts as more of a filler one that provides context for how certain characters know certain things later on ahem Schlatt knowing Tubbo's a traitor ahem)