Chapterish 47

SHIPWRECKED

"I cannot believe this!" Travis shouts.

"CANNOT," Trix echoes. Her words linger in the dead of night.

"HA-HA OH MY GOD!" Meg laughs in hysterics.

"Shit." Brooks and Brody curse under their breaths, but I can tell they're finding the same amusement as everyone else.

"That's what you get for picking this place," I say, shaking my head in disbelief.

"What I get?" Brooks asks, playful.

"You heard me." I wrap my towel tightly around my shoulders. It's dropped at least 10 degrees.

Lauren and Whit finally stop pacing long enough to walk over to where we're all standing. Lauren idly braids her hair and Whit applies a fresh coat of gloss to her sunburned lips. Nate and Alex stand with their backs to us as though looking for something to do. Trix and Travis are still in their giggle fit.

"So," I saw, chewing my lip. Everyone looks at me.

"So?" Trix raises her eyebrow.

"What now?"

12 HOURS EARLIER...

The rib glides effortlessly across the narrow channel, packed with bodies and coolers and towels and with Brooks at the wheel. It's early. Too early.

We decided to get the whole day in. We'll need it too since Brooks has us taking the inflatable raft over to the entire opposite side of the island chain, over to the uninhabited cays, the top secret cay.

He's been moody since he woke up this morning. Then again, I am moody at 6 AM too. I think I know what it is. I heard him arguing on the phone super early when he thought I was still asleep. And Brody mentioned last night that Ken would be "checking in", so I'm not surprised Brooks is now standoffish.

It doesn't seem like anyone else has noticed.

"So there's nothing on this island?" Alex's voice breaks the silence.

"Nothing. According to the map," Brooks says.

"Nothing but a modest size jungle and miles of shoreline," Brody adds, unfolding a navigation map in front of him.

"There aren't, animals?" Whit asks.

"Nothing big. Not like we're gonna be hiking into the mountains," I say a little harshly.

"But what if that's where the treasure is?" Nate grins.

"Not this treasure shit again," Meg whines, pushing Nate's shoulder.

"Hey!" Alex exclaims, defensive.

"What is with you guys and pirates?" I ask.

"Just trying to live out my Jack Sparrow fantasy, damn." Nate flips me off.

Travis throws a towel across the boat at him.

The island is certainly deserted and 100% giving me Pirates of the Caribbean vibes. Low key hoping there's a secret rum trading hatch.

We pull into a cove of sorts. The crescent beach is a perfect white strip set against a solid curtain of unruly vegetation. Brody wasn't kidding about the jungle. It's not Amazonian or anything; it's a JV jungle. B list at best.

We unload everything. Brooks and Brody are the last off the boat. They hop onto the sand after tying the ropes off and attaching them to a nearby palm tree.

"OK. Heading back around sunset?" Brooks asks no one in particular. "It's the bachelor and bachelorette parties tonight."

The group mumbles approval and agreement, but none of us actually pay attention.

"Let the adventure commence!" Nate says shortly after we beach the raft.

"There's a waterfall in there somewhere," Alex says, looking at the map Brody had before.

"Ooo a waterfall?" Whit chimes.

"Yes, let's find it," Lauren says.

"What happened to not hiking through the wilderness? I didn't dress for this." Trix folds her arms.

"Come on my beautiful bride-to-be, it's palm trees and coconuts." Travis throws an arm around Trix's shoulders.

"My kind of wilderness, to be honest." I shrug.

"I'm in." Brooks agrees to the trek.

The waterfall checks out. We find it about one mile inland. We have a boozy picnic on the mini cliffs. Shots flying. Music blasting. The new normal. We take turns jumping from the top ledge of the rock wall. Take turns making out in the cave that's concealed halfway up the waterfall.

Slowly the morning turns into afternoon. We leave the jungle and find the beach on the opposite side of the island. It's more pebbly than the other beach and littered with bits of driftwood and dried crabs. The afternoon turns to dusk and before we know it the sunset is lighting up our sky.