3/Vanilla Pinches

Sunflower Park, the busiest amusement park and events centre in Accra, was not frequented much on Mondays. People were at work or at school, but I was surprised to see people (mostly teens), loitering around the park in search of ice cream or just taking pictures by the fountain. 

"I guess everyone is winding down before school tomorrow," Mom said, wriggling her eyebrows. 

I rolled my eyes. "Don't even remind me about school." I did not have anything against my school but seeing my classmates' faces, their sympathetic condolences, and their fake concern was going to suffocate the life out of me. And I knew I would deal with some today in Sunflower Park. I just knew it. 

"You know you'll be in school whether you like it or not, so just get ready." She parked close to the front gate and we stepped out. This time, I was in a pair of camouflage joggers, a beige t-shirt and a baseball cap. The sun had already appeared, and the grand sign reading; SUNFLOWER PARK had no lights on. 

I fished my phone out of my black shoulder bag and called Mona. This morning, I received notifications saying she had unblocked me from all her social media handles. Just like that! Ah well, I guess I should have been happy. 

Mona picked up on the third ring and I could hear the sound of music from her end of the line. 

"Hello Salma Boo," she said, her voice sounding cheerful, unlike last night when I called to apologize. "I'm at the ice cream vendor's place - it's right around the fountain. I'm in denim dungarees." 

"Okay, I'll be there." I turned to Mom and she was leaning against the car. She yawned, barely able to keep her eyes open as I walked to her. "Mom, Mona showed me where she is right now, so I'll be able to navigate on my own. I think you should call the driver."

"Yeah, I just called the driver, he'll be here soon. I'll wait for him outside." I tilted my head, trying to view her face from a different angle. Her skin was pale, her eyes were devoid of any real joy apart from yesterday, and her hair was just a mess thrown into another mess of a bun. "Salma, go have fun, I'll be waiting for the driver."

I still stood my ground, but she ordered me to go inside the park and look for Mona or she'd call Mona to drag me to the park herself. I huffed, stomping to the entrance of Sunflower Park. I walked past the numerous people laying blankets on the natural green grass with baskets containing food and drinks. 

Monday picnics! I made sure to look down so as to not get into trouble with anyone who was laying their picnic on the grass. I soon spotted Mona seated with some of my classmates, laughing over cones of ice cream. 

This girl! I moaned to myself, stuck in the middle of the happy couples and family enjoying their picnics, and Mona and my classmates, enjoying their ice cream. How was I supposed to walk up to my classmates and see their sympathetic reactions? 

My hands flew over my phone screen as I texted Mona to get to where I was. I looked up and saw her reading the text. She said something to my classmates and they all nodded, but Mona didn't stand. She only rose from her seat and waved, beckoning me to join them. 

"No, you come here," I argued as if she was near me to hear. She shouted "What?", but I only groaned and sulked to where she was sitting. My classmates looked up at me and smiled. 

"Hi, Salma," they chorused. They were five; Natalie, Afia, Ekua, George, and Grace! Didn't Mona tell me those two had broken up? And here they were, Grace's head resting on George's chest and he stroked her box braids as if she was the most fragile thing he had in his life. 

"Hello," I said, forcing a smile. I took a seat between Mona and Natalie. 

"Don't you want any ice cream?" Mona asked, biting the cone and the ice cream together. "It's really good." I could guess it was from the way she was eating it.