Part 1

This is just a random short story. It contains five chapters. The book is complete, not edited though. Enjoy!

I stared at my coffee as the steam swirled, and wondered how much longer we could keep running. We have been doing it for more than six years and looking back at it, we've missed a lot on life.  I sighed deeply and turned my attention to Alina. She was trying to fix a broken cupboard door against my urges.

I  had insisted several times that she should leave it be for the caretaker, but her stubborn self wants to repair it. All in the spirit of a self-sufficient girl.

We heard the doorbell ring and exchanged a curious glances, since none had hinted anything about expecting company. Alina shrugged her shoulders, "maybe it's a neighbor."

Hesitantly I made my way towards the  door after cautioning her to be careful with the hammer. I didn't want unnecessary accidents happening on my watch.

"Just answer the door mum." She argued instead and though I couldn't see her face, I could almost hear the faces she was making; kids.

Upon opening the door I was  surprised to see a delivery man holding a large box. I would have gladly told him he had the wrong address  if my name was not boldly written in caps on the box.

Even as I signed for it, I was disturbed because the only deliveries we get in this house are the ones I have paid for.
Alina made sure to point that out when she blew up on me last week.

I closed the door behind me, "a package addressed to me, ha!" I muttered loudly ready to get some answers from my thirteen-year-old whom I thought had something to do with the box.

"Gosh... mum you know I didn't mean it the other day, right?" She exclaimed once her eyes fell on the box. She sounded serious but I still had to confirm.

"So this is not your doing?" My disbelief was palpable.

"Of course not, mum." She shot back a little infuriated.

"But last week..."

" I swear I didn't." My daughter cut me off firmly and I sensed this was her way of shutting last week's ordeal away. We will have to address it soon, but for now, I let it go.

"Okay," I conceded. "Go bring  scissors, let's see what's inside." When she left to do as I had requested,  I let my mind drift back to the fight we had. I think she is right, it's about time we settle down and relax. It has been long, if they were to find us, they would have already.

Alina returned looking excited. She quickly tore the tape and opened the box. We both leaned closer to check the contents in it and I couldn't stop a gasp from escaping my lips. It can't be, I tried to convince myself mentally though all the evidence was saying otherwise.

I glanced at my daughter and though she looked surprised as well, hers was more like a happy kind of surprise, unlike mine which was of terror. I take my thoughts back. We can never stay for long in one place. We can never leave any traces behind.

My heart broke when I saw tears I could only associate with happiness flowing down Alina's cheeks. She was clutching tightly on her favorite childhood stuffed animal which we had left behind; with them. Which meant they had found us and it was time to get moving again.

" Sweetie we need to go, now." I rasped hurriedly getting on my feet.

" Why?" She questioned curiously, "they have found us just like they promised." She argued and it tore my heart.

"We have to go," I demanded getting my adult face in place. I didn't have time to comfort her, I would do that later when we are far from this place.

"I don't want to, it sucks to keep moving around. " She argued with a frown.