𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝘀𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻

𝗣𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝘆𝗹𝗲

"Dude, where is he?" Kie ran a hand through her brunette hair, sighing loudly as they waited for John B's arrival

All of their hearts stopped as a police car came into view, pulling up closer to them at every inch. They waited for Shoupe to get out of the car, but instead it was just plain old JB.

Pope shook his head as he saw John B, "No f'ing way. I'm sorry."

John B opened the police car door, slamming it closed at he greeted his friends, "Shoupe let me take it for a spin."

"Yeah. I'm sure he did, JB." Aria laughed, hitting fists with him as he glanced at the parked boat, running his brown eyes over it.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you, and she runs like she was made yesterday." JJ smiled, lifting the keys in the air as he waved them around, "You ready to go?"

Aria parted her mouth, looking around for Sarah but there was no sign of her, "Where's Sarah?"

He creased his brows, turning to her, "She's not with you?" Aria asked again, sensing his confusion.

"No, we got separated in the swamp." John B trailed off, "She said she'd meet me here."

"No, we haven't seen her." Aria shrugged, fixing her black sweater as the marks on her pale skin were still evident.

"Okay, well, I'm not leaving without her." John B made it clear, holding his ground as he crossed his arms.

"John B, look at me." JJ demanded, "I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, all right? Hang out for a couple of weeks and then go overland, cross the border at Brownsville, you got that?"

John B nodded, taking in his words, "Brownsville."

Aria's phone buzzed in her hand, she glanced down at the text message notification.

𝗦𝗔𝗥𝗔𝗛 : really thought i'd leave without saying goodbye? meet me at the docks pronto, get on the boat with john b. hurry we don't have time.

"Wait." Aria cut them off, "Let me go with you."

"Nope. No. Hell no." JJ silenced her, making a tsk sound with his mouth.

"Just to the dock port, she's there. I didn't get to say goodbye." Aria pleaded, her heart thumping with anticipation.

"We have to go then, now." John B hummed, lifting the bags onto the boat deck, stepping onto to himself as he helped her on.

The part they had all been dreading, the goodbye. Silence filled the air as John B parted his lips, closing them again before opening them.

"I'm sorry for basically... throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing." He laughed.

"Hey, John B, yo... we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ joked, earning laughs from all of them.

"At least we did it together, though." Aria smiled, her hands gripped the metal railing of the boat.

"Pogue style."

"Pogue style." They said in union.

Time was ticking faster than ever, it would be soon that the cops would track down their stolen car, "Get out of here! Please. Now."

"We'll see you in two months, down in Mexico." They waved them off, John B wrapping his hands around the wheel as they pulled away.

"Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?" JJ screamed, his arms around Kie and Pope as he watched them begin to pull out of sight.

"Got it!" John B called, pushing the wheel faster as they sped off, the water around them splashing around as he increased the speed.

Aria stood frozen as they passed the dock, no sign of Sarah. She lowered her head as they passed it, John B slamming the boat to a halt as he heard her voice, "John B. Wait!"

"Hey. What are you doing? I didn't think you were coming. You weren't at the dock." John B asked, standing next to Aria as they both stared down at the Cameron girl.

𝗮𝘂𝘁𝗵𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁𝗲!
small chapter :/ next one
is making me cry