59. Emerald

When Cosette turned over in bed, she reached her arm out, expecting it to land on George but instead she came into contact with the mattress.

She sat up in bed with only one thought running through her mind.

That son of a bitch.

Cosette threw the covers off her and grabbed a sweater from her closet, throwing it on and a pair of leggings as well. She didn't hear any noise coming from the hallway, but her heart still sank to her stomach the second that she stepped out of her room and realized that George really wasn't there.

She wanted to scream. He promised he would be there in the morning. What changed overnight?

There was an empty glass sitting on the table, indicating that George was there, but that was the only sign of him.

Cosette thought they were fine. She thought that they were going to move past the Elliot issue, but what if she thought wrong? What if George needed space before jumping into a relationship so quickly after she had just slept with someone else?

She grabbed the glass to bring it over to the sink, but a journal left out on the table caught her eye. Cosette knew that she didn't leave it there so again, another sign from George. He was sitting here. He had been reading Fred's journals.

Cosette reached for it, noticing a piece of paper sticking out of it. Opening the journal, Cosette scanned over the note, recognizing George's handwriting instantly.

There's something I need to deal with, I'll be back soon. I promise.

-George

But Cosette had no idea when he left this note. He could have woken up five minutes ago or five hours ago so she also had no idea when 'soon' was. She crumpled up the piece of paper in her hand, frustrated that George wasn't here.

What could be so important that he absolutely had to leave?

Cosette glanced at the journal next, reading whatever entry that George had ended up on.

08-01-1997

Cosette told me what kind of ring she wanted and it was so bloody difficult to not blurt out that I've already got one picked out. She has no idea it's just sitting in my office- it's been there for too long if I'm being honest. I just don't know when to ask her.

She wanted an oval cut diamond, gold band. I've got the gold band part down, but it's no diamond.

I always told her she looked good in green so hopefully she'll like the emerald.

Her heart dropped to her stomach and Cosette had to sit down in the chair, not at all expecting her morning to start off with a bombshell like this.

She knew that Fred was going to propose to her, that wasn't a surprise anymore, but finding out what kind of ring it was was hard for her to wrap her head around.

Of course it was green.

Cosette should have figured that out on her own. The necklace he had given her had an emerald stone. He told her time and time again that it was her favorite color on her. A green ring was to be expected, but Cosette never put it together on her own.

She reached into the box and found the paper with his proposal plan on it, reading it over a few times as she tried to ignore the guilt that was causing her chest to tighten. Cosette was so angry at George when she found this letter, thinking that he knew about the engagement, but he didn't.