xxxiv

Chapter Thirty-Four: Not as It Seems

The restaurant was unlike any he had been to before. It was entirely outside and seemed to have undertaken a whole town square. The tables were scattered about on the outskirts of the square, forming a U-shape. Together with the bar, which was on the fourth side, they formed a perimeter around a dance floor, which was in the middle. Lights were strung up between poles, giving off a romantic glow. For the first few minutes Jeongguk preoccupied himself in trying to figure out where the kitchen was, unable to rest easy until a waiter he had been following with his eyes disappeared into one of the nearby houses.

      A dance floor in the middle of a restaurant––it was not something Jeongguk would have thought worked as well as it did. He thought it would either be left empty (for dancing around while others ate dinner around you, easily able to look (and judge) seemed a little terrifying), or, if it were full, that it would be annoying. He was wrong. Even though the night was young, some had already made their way onto the dance floor, brave and unbothered souls, ignorant of the world around them. And the world also seemed ignorant of them, as the people sitting in the restaurant seemed to pay them no mind. It surprised him. Granted, it was still early in the evening and there weren't a lot of people dancing, and the ones who were, were quiet. While having the dance floor there didn't exactly create a peaceful environment for people to enjoy their food in, it did something completely different––it created energy. The happiness of the dancers spread across the entire restaurant and filled one with a giddy and hazy emotion. Jeongguk had a feeling this emotion would only grow as the clock ticked into the night.

      They were seated at a big and round table. He sat next to Hoseok and an empty chair and was right across from Jeongyeon, who was telling everyone the reason why she and Namjoon had decided to pick the first venue for their wedding (even though it was pretty obvious to everyone that it had been the better option).

      "When we were looking at the venues, we realised something. We realised, that the reason we wanted to have the wedding on Jeju in the first place, was because of the fact that I fell in love with it, when I came here for your wedding." She gestured towards Haeji and Sejin. "It was also the last trip I took with my dad. So, it only makes sense for us to choose the venue that you guys used."

      "Cheers to that!" Sejin said, raising a glass.

      "You made the right choice," his mother said after everyone finished drinking. "Your dad absolutely adored the venue back in the day."

      "Bless his soul," Haeji said. "It reminds me ..." She cleared her throat, and everyone knew she was preparing herself for a story. "When I was getting married (fourteen years ago, gosh I'm old) I had a bad case of wedding nerves."

      "As bad as Jeongyeon?" Jeongguk chimed in. He was thrilled when his sister glared at him.

      Haeji laughed. "Worse. And Jeongguk––not you, Guk, but your father––was the only one who could calm them. He was so decisive, unlike Sejin here."