Chapter 26 - Charlotte

Chapter Twenty-Six

Charlotte

"You're late," Summer griped when I walked into the bedroom. She was sitting on my bed looking through the different books I had on my bedside table.

I raised my eyebrows at her in disbelief – it was only ten past eight. She pierced her lips challengingly while tossing my books back on the table.

Sighing, I said, "Fine, I'm sorry. I was-"

"Hanging out with Rayden?" She questioned, folding her arms. "Yah – I know, which is kind of why I agreed to talk to you."

Slowly tilting my head, skepticism rolled over me in waves. "W-what exactly do you mean?"

"Well, I've noticed that you and Rayden have become close lately," she said, casually inspecting her nails. When she looked up at me, a hint of hopefulness danced within the depths of her eyes, "So I was thinking you could put in a good word for me."

Recoiling, there was a long pause before I finally blurted, "You're serious?"

"Of course I am."

"After everything you've put me through," I asked in disbelief, motioning toward my hair. "You actually have the nerve to ask me for a favour?"

Summer's chubby cheeks inflated when she clenched her jaw. "Well, if you want advice on how to deal with some of the other girls, then you'll do this for me," was her defence.

Tensing, I lowered my eye lids and glared at her. Indecisiveness wiggled into way into my mind and I couldn't decide what to do. On one hand, I was revolted by the notion of helping one of the girls who'd been making my life a living nightmare since I got here, but on the other hand, I really did need a way to finally put a stop to all the bullying.

Then there was the fact that I didn't even want to put the idea of Summer into Rayden's head. He may have been a cocky daredevil with a death wish, but he deserved much better than a girl who obviously had no backbone. It was obvious, to me at least, that Summer was more of a follower than a leader. She likely did what the other girls told her to just to save her own hide.

"Well?" Summer nagged, standing up and placing her hands on each hip.

I guess I could always just mention her name and Rayden could make up his own mind – he was a pretty smart guy.

"Fine," I said reluctantly. "You have yourself a deal. Now, how do I stop them from harassing me?"

A haughty smile crept onto her face and she walked over to her bedside table and began digging around in the drawer. "First, you need to start with Lizz," she said over her shoulder, pulling a few things out and then walking over to me. "If you get Lizz on your side, then Brittney will follow. That girl is head over heels for Lizz, even though Lizz doesn't swing that way."

Huh, I didn't even know Brittney swung that way, but it did make sense seeing as she was the only one who didn't gush incisively over Rayden. Even Mack, who was apparently dating Danny, prattled on about how ruggedly sexy Rayden was.

"So, how do I get Lizz on my side?"

"Easy," Summer assured, opening up her hand to reveal a pair of brass knuckles. "You have to kick her ass."

Almost tripping over my own feet, I took a step back and gaped. "W-what?"

"It's the only way to gain Lizz's respect," Summer said with a grave expression. "Right now she thinks you are a pathetic wuss who's too weak to stick up for herself. She won't stop until you either break, or finally fight back."