Chapter 2 - Off On The Wrong Foot

Chapter 2: Off On the Wrong Foot

Indi Sky

By the time school let out I was more than ready to go home. It had been exhausting getting back into the swing of things. I'd stayed up all night and slept in late all summer so my body was just now adjusting to being up so early. I made my way to the gym to wait on Kali to finish her cheerleading meeting.

I quickly scanned the gym as I made my entrance. I noticed Kali and the prospective cheerleading squad in one corner, Amir and a few of his teammates were shooting around on the opposite side of the court, and a few kids just hung around the bleachers talking. I took a seat on the first row of bleachers near Kali and the cheerleaders.

Tuning her out, I turned my attention toward Amir. My brother truly was a great basketball player. Daddy stayed on him about practicing and bettering himself, and even though he was hard on him I know Amir liked it. Amir knew he was one of the greats and planned on going to the NBA one day.

"Oh my God,  Amir Sanders is so fine!" I heard some girls gushing behind me. I rolled my eyes at their conversation.

Girls always talked about how cute they thought Amir was. It was disgusting to me honestly. What bothered me even more was the fact that they'd try to be friends with me so they could get close to him. The whole thing was just pathetic.

"Have you been staying off the ground?" I heard someone say from beside me.

I turned to see Jace sitting by my side, flashing that dazzling white smile of his. My heart began to speed up at us being so close. A blush graced my cheeks as I became embarrassed about the fall in the hallway all over again.

"That's not funny," I mumbled.

"Nah, I'm just messing with you," he laughed while leaning back on the bleachers. His white shirt lifted up slightly, daring to show a peek of his abdomen. I quickly fixed my gaze elsewhere. "So, why are you over here sitting all alone?"

"J-just waiting on my cousin to finish up a meeting." I mumbled nodding toward Kali who looked like she was wrapping things up. I looked back down the court toward Amir to find him glaring at me. I swear he caught an attitude whenever he saw any guy talking to me. Like I said before, he thinks he's Daddy.

"What grade are you in, Indi Sky?" he asked, once again saying my name in a way that sent butterflies fluttering around in my stomach.

"Tenth," I managed to respond without stuttering.

He raised an eyebrow. "So that's why I haven't seen you in any of my classes?"

I shrugged. "I guess so. What about you?"

"Junior," he smiled.

I took a few honors classes, but for the most part I rarely shared classes with any juniors or seniors.

"You again, huh? You feeling my sister or something?" I rolled my eyes at the sound of Amir's voice. When I looked up he was standing in front of Jace and me with the basketball under his arm.

"I mean...I think she's beautiful." Jace answered smiling over at me. I looked away as I felt my cheeks turning red.

He thought I was beautiful?

"Yeah, I'm glad you can see." Amir said in a bored tone. "She's 15 and she ain't interested in niggas."

I shot Amir a look feeling completely embarrassed. How dare he just call me out like that in front of Jace? It's not like he'd asked me out on a date or anything, we were just talking.