Chapter 26: A Seat At The Table

A/N: Hey guys! There may not be a new chapter for a few weeks as I've got more job applications to do so I hopefully have a job after Christmas :') got a lot on my plate at the moment and I've been too stressed to write a lot. If I get a job though all will be well again! Thank you for reading! I really do appreciate comments and votes!

...

Shifu walked away from Peach Tree Hill, with a much clearer view of The Hunter now. He understood better why he is the way he is. And Shifu was at least somewhat to blame for it. He pushed Tigress incredibly hard as a cub, enough to make her forget the Orphanage. Not so long ago, he might have still considered that a good thing. But now? He knew better than to just try and forget your past. Hunter, nor even perhaps Tigress will likely be able to fully heal without facing their past. But he had promised Hunter not to tell her anything, and he would honour his word. Perhaps there was something else he could do that wouldn't compromise his honour...

Hunter meanwhile looked out at the Valley, thinking about his past, and wondering about the decision he still had to make about staying, about whether he should even still consider it... Things had somewhat changed, but had it had an impact? It could very well set him back even further if he did stay... and yet he found himself considering it...

...

A little bit later, it was approaching nightfall in the Valley of Peace, and the Furious Five and Dragon Warrior were in the Palace kitchens for their evening meal as usual. Master Shifu was meditating today, so he wasn't joining them for their evening meal like he sometimes did. Po, as usual, was of course cooking for the others.

"I know it was a terrible plan in hindsight!"

Tigress was apparently the current target of some light hearted jabbing from the rest of the Five, and Po himself. "'We are the great and fantastic Furious Five! Lay down your arms and we will show mercy!'" Mantis gave an, admittedly terrible, impression of what had happened at the camp earlier yesterday, and what Tigress had said.

Crane then bowed overly deeply to Mantis. "Oh, of course Master Tigress! We've seen the error of our ways, and will immediately change our lives for the better!" he exclaimed, also doing a terrible impression of Makaku.

Tigress scoffed and rolled her eyes. "And with our run-of-the-mill bandits, it would very likely have worked." she pointed out in return, a slight smile on her face showing she was reciprocating the jab.

"Well they weren't your regular bunch of mooks. Even so, lousy planning there, Kitten."

Everyone's eyes shot to the entrance to the kitchen, and there stood Hunter, still wrapped in bandages with one arm cradling his torso wound whilst leaning against the doorway. Everyone still stared at him, unable to speak for a few seconds.

Finally, Po beamed at Hunter being in the kitchen with them. "You actually came! And I didn't need to pester you!" he exclaimed in excitement before sniffing loudly. "Is something burning...?" Looking down, he saw his paw resting near an open flame and quickly pulled it away before dunking it in cool water. "YEOW!" Po exclaimed in a yelp.

Everyone shook their heads at Po's antics while Hunter walked inside the kitchen proper. Tigress actually had a slight smile on her face still, although it was indeed faint it was there. She stood up and moved aside so Hunter could sit where Shifu usually sat at the other end of the table. "I'll be eating my own food, but I figured I may as well see what the fuss is about." Hunter said to the Five and Po. He then took notice of the dried blood on the table, and the two areas where he'd stabbed a knife through said table, and also his hand at one point.

Mantis grinned widely then. "Maybe someone will actually finally say that I'm a good cook now!" he exclaimed and everyone looked at each other and then at him with a blank expression.