Chapter 2 - The Necklace in the Church

Chapter 2 - Meet Stage! (AKA, me.)
Warnings: None (: unless you think slight confusion should need a warning, then that lol
Third Person POV

Sage (Amelia) Owens, or Stage, as her few friends had named her, swept the floor of the church.

(A/N, no, that is not my (author's) actual name.)

She worked on her own time to clean the church and also babysit, just to earn a little money.

As a 15-year-old, there weren't too many jobs she could do, but there were some.

Her parents were fine with this on the account that she did very few things outside of school and they trusted her.

Stage was a good kid.

She got good grades (mainly A's and a few B's), was in as many Honors as she could be, avoided confrontation and drama as best she could, helped her friends when they needed it, and was kind to everyone (or at least tried to be. Her brother annoyed her a lot).

Stage loved performing. It was the only thing she did outside of school and even at school.

Stage was Catholic, and technically Christian.

Stage was about average height with long, brown hair and blue eyes. She had very pale skin and lots of freckles, with her cheeks usually flushed.

Stage sighed to herself as she looked around.

She didn't particularly like doing this, but she got alone time and got to listen to her music, which she was always grateful for. She almost always had her headphones on, or at least with her.

Stage pressed a button on her headphones, causing her song to switch from 'We Own The Night' from Finding Neverland to 'Time' from Tuck Everlasting.

Oh, so we want me to be sad right now, huh? Stage thought to herself as she swept away.

She rolled her eyes.

Stage pressed the skip button again. 'Prayer' from Come from Away came on.

Fitting, but let's not right now.

Stage pushed the button again, the song changing to 'I See Stars' from Mean Girls.

She shrugged. This'll do for now, just don't make me cry. Please.

After a few minutes of spinning and singing, Stage's eyes caught on something silver and shiny on the ground.

Stage looked around.

No one other than her was there.

Stage leaned the broom against the wall and bent down to the floor.

She looked at the necklace.

It was silver and it had a cross charm on it.

It was in really good condition for being on the floor of the church for however long it had been there.

Stage picked up the necklace.

A cold wind blew over her, chilling her slightly.

Stage looked at the necklace more closely, before she noticed her sleeves.

She hadn't been wearing long sleeves before this.

She looked at her outfit; a green undershirt, a green and white flannel, a brown vest, rest suspenders, brown pants, and brown boots.

Stage's eyes widened. What?

Stage looked around the church.

It looked different, like the pictures people had of the church from the 1800s and 1900s.

Stage stared at the necklace in her hand. What just happened?

"Elmer!" A voice shouted from outside. "Come on! Let's go!"

Stage had a pretty strong feeling that they were talking to her. "One sec!" She called back.

Stage stood up, the necklace still in her hand.

The voice groaned. "Elmer!" They exclaimed. "Let's go! Now! Or else Jack will have our heads!" They warned them.

Stage's eyebrows furrowed. Who's Jack?- "Okay!" Stage exclaimed, shoving the necklace in her pocket.

She quickly left the church.

When she got outside, someone grabbed her wrist.

Fear filled Stage as her head snapped up to look at the person.

It was a boy. He was ranting about something. "Dear gosh- Jack might have a heart attack if we don't get back," he stated. "You know how worried he gets about us when we go somewhere alone and-" he stopped when he looked at Stage. His eyebrows furrowed in concern. "You alright, El?" He asked softly.

Stage stared at him, her eyes slightly wider than usual. "Yeah." She choked out.

The boy looked like he didn't believe her. "Was it something I said?" He asked, concerned. "I just don't want Jack to be worried about us, you know?"

Elmer nodded. "Yeah- yeah, I get it. Sorry, I don't know what happened." He responded. "Let's go."

JoJo nodded.

They start running off, avoiding people as they ran, hand in hand, to the Manhattan Newsboy Lodge.

804 Words
(A/N, I don't know how to explain it well, but basically Elmer and Stage switch (like everyone will with their character) in the Canon Era, and slowly, Stage figures out that she is supposed to play Elmer and slowly becomes more like him. It's just hard to write that lol)