Chapter Forty Four

Amara's POV

His lips were pressed tightly against mine as he kissed me for the second time, his hands draped over my waist, as mine were on his neck.

"I missed you so fucking much." He said, and I felt the smile on his lips.

The sound of coughing made us slightly pull away, our heads turning toward where Derek, Jack, and Alec stood awkwardly.

"Oh." I said, letting out a light laugh, and Luca's lips were against mine again.

"God, I love that sound." He said once he pulled away.

"Look, as much as I like to see you happy Amara, we need to go before Mason comes back." Derek said.

I nodded, pulling away from Luca. My gaze swept over his face, my heart aching.

My thumb trailed over his cheek, his head leaning into my touch.

"Let's get outta here." Derek said, pulling us away from each other.

Luca quickly grabbed my hand as we left, making our way back towards where we came from.

When a gun shot rang out from one of the rooms, I stopped, looking in one of the windows.

There my father lay, dead, on the floor. Mason stood in front of him, a gun in his hands as he looked down at my now passed father.

Why did it hurt?

Why did all the memories of me as a kid coming running back? Him giving me ice cream late at night? Bringing me on special missions, just the two of us.

Even when he started to hit me, I still loved him. I don't know why, but he was still my father, and I still cared.

I was frozen as they pushed me down the hallway, Luca squeezing my hand as he looked down at me.

"I'm sorry." He whispered over and over again as I leaned my head against his chest, the tears starting to pool from my eyes.

We reached the sewers and we climbed down, running toward the exit.

I was so tired as we reached the car, my body was hit with a wave of exhaustion as I laid against Luca, his sweet coos in my ear and the way he played with my hair made me fall fast asleep.

✻ ✻ ✻ ✻ ✻

I awoke to the feeling of someone's fingers trailing against the skin at my waist, my body flushed against a warm one.

I turned over and heard a groan, Luca pulling me closer as I kissed him on the cheek.

"Where are we?" I whispered, smiling as he gave me a kiss on the nose.

"My safe house." He said quietly, his head now resting in the crook of my neck.

"So just the two of us?" I asked, and I felt him smile.

"Just the two of us."