15. Accidents Happen

White light shone through the shredded curtains and onto the sleeping pair. Dallas had his head leaning against his bed, his mouth slightly open, while Hannah's head lolled onto her brother's shoulder.

She was the first to wake. Her brother would be waking up with a hangover, and Hannah wanted to prevent his rude awakening for as long as possible.

Last night came back in foggy bits and pieces as she rose to her aching legs. The memories became all too real as she pushed her bedroom door open. She had managed to place her few remaining clothes in the drawers but hadn't bothered to re-make her bed after Tony ripped apart her pillows and drug his knife through the blanket on her mattress at least nine times.

She laughed bitterly while weaving her hands through her hair.

Just my luck. Just my fucking luck. 'Cause nothing can ever go well for a Winston.

"This is some sick joke, right? I just want a fucking break."

With aching limbs and an aching heart, Hannah pulled the torn blanket back over her mattress. She did the same with the pillows before she heard the sound of footsteps outside her window.

Go tell Dallas. At least don't stay in the room, this is how you get murdered. Go tell Dallas.

Her legs acted on their own as they carried her closer to her window. With every step forwards, the fear became a fist clamped around her throat. It prevented her from talking or breathing at all.

Her own hand wrapped around the green handle of her knife as she neared the window. Thanks to the early morning sun, a silhouette was visible on the other side of her torn curtains. They started to whisper.

"Hannah? This is your room, right? I really hope so, it's Ponyboy."

Do not tell Dallas, or he will be the one murdering both of you.

She flung the curtains back and pushed open the window, all while ignoring the thundering in her chest.

"What the fuck are you doing here," she whispered furiously. Ponyboy looked taken aback at her sudden outburst.

Jesus kid, what did you expect me to say? You really have no experience with girls, do you?

"I wanna say I'm sorry."

It was Hannah's turn to look confused. Up until this moment, no one had ever apologized to her. 

Well, except for Verna. But that was only one time so it doesn't count.

Pony jerked his head to the side, Hannah's eyes locked onto the black garbage bag at his side. "And you kinda left your clothes at my house."

He passed the bag forwards and their fingers interlocked for a brief second. Ponyboy's hands were abnormally warm whereas Hannah's had felt like ice ever since she could remember.

Together, it felt comfortable.

She dropped the bag to the floor with a thud while Ponyboy stared at her expectantly. Hannah rolled her eyes. "What do you want?"

Pony swallowed quickly. "I was outta line yesterday, what you and Dal wanna share is completely up to you."

Hannah nodded and prepared to shut the window when he spoke again. "Could I maybe come in? It's kinda awkward sitting on the roof. Or we could go for a walk-"

"No," she said sternly.

"Why not?"

Hannah cringed and waited for Dallas to come barreling into the room. He never did.