Chapter 12: More Secrets

Diego and Klaus came back to the academy, and we all searched for Vanya. I looked through all the rooms and came up empty.

I met up with Five and we went over to the balcony to see Diego and Klaus. I guess they came up empty too.

"No sign of Vanya," Five said once we reached them.

"She's not in any of the rooms," I said.

"She's not downstairs either," Klaus said.

"Well, I'm out," Diego said patting Klaus's shoulder and started walking away.

"Wait," Klaus said turning towards him.

"Where are you going?" Five and I asked at the same time.

"Vanya's still out there, and so are Hazel and Cha-Cha," Five said.

Diego stopped and turned to look at us, "I know. I'm gonna get my things and then I'm outta here. I've got some unfinished business with those fools."

We all sighed and watched him walk away.

Five turned to Klaus, "Hey, did dad say anything about the apocalypse when you spoke to him? Any clues to how it happened?"

"No. No clues. Truly terrific shave. But no clues," Klaus said.

Shave? What the hell is he talking about?

Five rolled his eyes and started walking towards the stairs. I followed behind him.

"You know, come to think of it, he did mention something about my potential," Klaus said catching up with us, "and how I've barely scratched the surface of my-"

Five interrupted him, "How did he know about the apocalypse?"

"I don't know, but listen," Klaus said as we got to the bottom of the stairs, "this whole jumping through time of yours, how did you know how to do that?"

"I didn't. You'd realize that if you were actually sober," Five said walking past him.

"Hey, I am sober. I've been sober for two- almost two days now," Klaus said.

Five turned to look at us, "Yeah, two days."

"It feels like forty-five years," Klaus said.

I gave him a small smile and patted his shoulder.

"Who are you kidding, Klaus? I've seen you fidgeting all day," Five said.

Klaus walked over to him, "Well, I guess we're both fighting our addictions."

"I'm not an addict," Five stated.

"Yeah, you are," Klaus said, "you're addicted to a drug called the apocalypse."

Well, he's not wrong...

"You're wrong," Five argued.

"First sign. Denial," Klaus said as he turned around.

Five blinked in front of him, "you and I are not the same."

"I've seen that look in the eye of someone who doesn't know who they are without their high anymore," Klaus told him, "Trust me. You just gotta let it go."

Five pulls the eye out of his pocket and throws it at the wall, causing it to shatter. He walks past Klaus and goes into the living room.

"Figuratively, but yeah, that works too," Klaus sighed as he scratched his hand, "One day at a time."

"I believe in you Klaus," I said.

He looked over at me and gave me a small smile. I smiled and gave him a hug.