Chapter 29

Mughal Camp

Jalal woke up and groaned. His head ached and his tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth. He thirsted for water. When he opened his eyes, lightnings shrugged in his head. He quickly closed them again and held his head in his hands. Ya Khuda! His head seemed to burst. Slowly he began to open his eyes again. The thirst killed him. With an effort he got up and poured himself a mug of water, which he emptied in one gulp. Then he splashed water on his face a couple of times. Slowly his head cleared.

"Servant!" He shouted. "Bring me something to eat!"

The servant, startled by his tone, hurried away.

Slowly he remembered what had happened last evening. He thought of the dancing girl and her lips that were on his, he shuddered. The craving he'd felt. Should he talk to Abdul about it? He decided to keep it to himself for now.

"Subha bakhair, Jalal!" Bairam Khan entered his tent.
"I see you are awake. How's your shoulder?"

"Still hurts slightly. Later the Hakim will come and bandage it again. My head hurts all the more for that" he moaned. "This wine was just too much."

"Young men must sow one's wild oats!" Bairam Khan smirked.

"It would have been better if I hadn't! Then I wouldn't have let the girl get too close either!" he blurted out.

"Didn't you like it?" asked Bairam Khan with smug laughter.

Jalal looked at him. "Do you have anything to do with it?" he asked lurking.

"I thought you might like it" he said simply with a dirty grin.

"Bairam Khan! How dare you!" he screamed and glared at him. "I decide who comes near me! I forbid you to make such decisions! That won't happen again! I hope we got along!" he said threateningly. "If I want a girl, I choose one myself."

"But Jalal, ...!" Bairam Khan looked at him in disbelief and was interrupted by Jalal.

"Enough! Go now!" At that moment the Hakim was announced and Jalal dismissed Bairam Khan.

"Subha bakhair, Jahanpanah. How are you? Does the wound cause you pain?"

"No, it doesn't cause me any pain. But do you have something for my headache? Yesterday I did too much justice to the wine" he confessed contrite.

The Hakim smiled knowingly and rummaged in his pouch. He gave him a small vial.

"Put 5 drops of this in a mug of water and you will be better soon."

Jalal filled the mug with water and dripped the liquid into it. He quickly emptied the mug.

"Now let me check on your wound huzoor!"

Jalal took off his robe and the Hakim removed the bandage.

"It heals well, Jahanpanah. It will be healed in a few days. Be careful with the movements. For now, no sword practices and wild elephantrides." said the good-natured Hakim with a smile.

Jalal looked disappointed.

"We don't want the wound to open again huzoor!" He said soothingly, while he applied the herbal paste and put the bandage back on.

"Have you found out anything else who shot the arrow at you?" asked the Hakim.

"No nothing! It was probably a local Dacoit who sensed a big business" Jalal replied.

"You are probably right. Take a little rest now. If you need anything let me call you. Khuda hafiz Jahanpanah!"

"Shukriaa, Hakim! Khuda hafiz!"