2. Paradise

"You're exactly the kind of girl the bite is meant for."

I'm woken suddenly, those words echoing relentlessly around my head. Slowly, my bones crack as I lift myself into a kneeling position. There's blood coating every inch of the floor nearest me, but I don't feel any pain.

I remember last night all of it, being scared and frightened in the forest as the voice came from every direction. Feeling all that pain it was like death was a breath away. All that blood and the huge piece of skin ripped out of me, there's no way I was able to live through that? Why is the bite not hurting? Why does it feel like my wounds gone?

I feel for the bumps on my head but there is none, not even a slight headache. Even the scratches on my palms from the keys are gone.

I'm not crazy nor am I delusional, there's blood coating the floors to prove something happened. I smell like the forest and there's dirt all over my white shirt along with blood so that means last night was real. It has to be...

I'm suddenly sidetracked from thinking about the pain when my phone begins to blast the preset alarms for school.

I groan and stand up, glancing down at the torn white shirt once again, blood and dirt everywhere but not a single trace of a wound. Where is the bite?

I should have listened to the sheriff and agreed on him driving me home, then maybe I wouldn't feel so insane.

My phones still in my back pocket for some reason so I reach for it there, great my phone has blood on it as well, my thumb swipes against the screen quickly, trying desperately to get the blood out of the way before giving up and grabbing a paper towel to wipe of the blood off. The blood has dried in many places so I'm forced to dampen the towel to get rid of it. My phone rings soon after again and I realize it's Lydia.

Last chance to wear the outfit! Stop being stubborn and do it!
-Lydia

I look over to the kitchen clock, searching for the bright red numbers amongst the white and silver of my kitchen, My eyes find the 6:00 a.m. I have exactly an hour to change, shower, and run my ass to school. No way in hell am I even attempting to wear whatever Lydia has chosen for me. I don't feel like completely changing my social group at the moment.

There's cold air running through the entire house, my back double doors still wide open and the cold winter air seeping through. I walk over and test out my torso, still no pain. I glance outside, noticing the blood all over the white deck stands out. I live in front of the forest though, and my nearest neighbors can't see above the tall walls built once upon a time by my parents.

Cautiously I glance at the forest where hours ago I was attacked by something, I have no way to prove it though. What do I do? Everyone would certainly think I've lost my mind and send me on a one way ticket to Eichen House. This isn't an episode of supernatural but I also don't know how to explain my blood.

I'll need to clean all the blood soon and get rid of these dirty clothes. The better question is do I feel like going to school and acting normal when in reality I'm still reeling from what I think happened. No, I know it did happen but I don't have legitimate proof.

I could stay home, I could just stay in and try to figure out what the hell has happened. I can't though, if I do then I'll replay last night. I'll replay last night over and over, thinking about the pain until it's driven me unstable. And if I think about the pain, I'll think about death, and that will lead to much more buried grief I've worked hard to keep at bay because...

No.

I refuse to remember there deaths this morning, not when I have so many things to deal with already. I forget about the evidence of blood all over my porch, kitchen, and shut the back doors making sure every lock is secure. I set the alarm and double check that all the other doors are closed before running upstairs and straight to my bathroom