Chapter Six

Clarice had been hitting it off with the students really well her first week. Her younger students had been showing so much enthusiasm for the subject, that at the end of the week she decided she wanted to thank them for making her first week such a great one. She sat at her desk and worked on some papers until it was about ten minutes before class ended.

"Students, you can all begin packing up. I have a little surprise for you all," Clarice said as she moved to the closet and retrieved it. The students gasped as Clarice used her wand to display a tree; not just any tree, but a Wiggentree with little bowtruckles climbing around it.

"I think it's about time we have some class pets. What do you say?" She asked and they all smiled at her while nodding. "Now remember what we talked about! They are typically harmless unless they feel threatened."

The students gathered around to check out their new friends, but no one touched them.

"Each class is getting to name one, so you guys can decided which one and what you want to name it." Clarice said while identifying which ones were boys and which were girls.

"That one looks like a Roger!" One of the students claimed and they laughed.

"That's most generic name ever."

"Let's name this one Toot!" And they all laughed again.

"I actually like Toot." Clarice giggled with them.

"I think Toot is the winner." Another girl said.

"Will you know all their names by Monday?" A boy asked Clarice and she nodded.

"I promise I will let you know what the other classes come up with." She said while wishing a great rest of their day and sitting down at her desk.

By the end of the day, she had all of the bowtruckles named. Toot, Squirt, Scout, Nugget, Buttercup, and... Rasputin. She laughed to herself and packed her papers up to head back to her room, but before doing so she stopped at the potions classroom to bring him some herbs. She knocked on the door and opened it herself to reveal a class of sixth years ago wondered who dare disturb the class.

"Sorry to interrupt Professor Snape, I'm just dropping these off." Clarice smiled and walked over to his supply closet. She closed the door behind her and began stacking his shelves up with jars. She heard the door open and then shut again.

"Clarice, I hate to bother you and I hate asking for help... but do you think you could help me supervise this class. They're making Draught of Living Death and well... they aren't doing it right. I know you... have a knack for potions. Do you mind staying a bit?" He asked her without making eye contact. The closet was very tight also, so as she turned to face him, they were practically standing in each other's arms. He scooted back an inch and knocked a glass off the shelf.

"You feeling alright Severus? Of course, I'll stay. What fell?" She asked him.

"Gillyweed." He replied and opened the door and slipped out. She used her wand to clean up the glass and made a mental note to replace it. She came back out and stood by the door.

"If anyone has any questions, Professor Bates will be around to assist." Professor Snape said while standing over a Gryffindor girl.

"Professor Bates?" She heard a student call her name and she went over to help.

"So a little trick here, use this dagger to crush the sopophorous beans instead of cutting them. It works better. Also, add a clockwise stir after every seventh counter clockwise stir." She informed each student that asked for her help on her little tips and suggestions. Only three of the students have been able to make the potion correctly by the end of class. She was shocked to see how many points Severus took away from the houses for not being able to make it correctly, yet no one got points for making it correctly.