46. Green

Chapter 46: Green.

"Where am I?" Milo opens his eyes to a blinding light, looking around himself, there is nothing but white everywhere. After fluttering his eyes for a while, he is finally able to keep them open in the blinding light.

He manages to sit up effortlessly, as if he didn't just jump off of the highest building around him, and then it comes back to him. He died.

Looking down to his body, he notices that he is entirely naked, his nudity didn't bother him however, it felt... Right. Looking at his body, he didn't feel ashamed, he didn't feel gross or unlovable like he used to, he was just him.

"This feels weird..." His fingertips land on his skin and an euphoric sensation travels up his spine, resulting in him grunting in bliss.

"You get used to it Child," a familiar voice speaks to him and he rushes to his feet, noticing Grandma Lou standing there.

"G- Grandma Lou!" A large smile breaks through his lips and he runs to hug her tight, unaffected by his nudity.

There she was, in flesh and bone, wearing a golden gawn that extended to the ground around her, however, she didn't look like the version he met, she was younger, the wrinkles on her skin were gone, her hair was a bright red and her eyes a vibrant yellow.

She looked entirely different, yet he just knew it was her.

"I was waiting for you, my child!" She chuckles, accepting her into her embrace.

"You look so much younger!" He couldn't keep the surprise in his tone as they pulled away but she kept him at arm reach.

"Appearances don't matter here, darling. You were relieved of your vessel..." She softly speaks and he could almost fall asleep at how calming her voice felt.

"Does that mean I failed?" His voice cracks in the middle and she takes his hand, slowly into hers before guiding him with her.

"It depends, did you give up?" She smiles down at him and only then he notices how much taller than him she seemed.

He felt like a child in her presence but his thoughts were brought back to the moment when the blankness around them started evolving into something.

Well, not just something, but he was back into the orphanage where he grew up.

"Why did you bring me here?" He clinches into her arm like a frightened child, his orbs dilating at the familiar walls of the bedroom he shared with three other boys.

"I didn't, Milo... " She starts to speak as he watches his younger self getting bullied by the two older roommates. "You are the one who brought us here..."

He tries to hide behind her but she insists on making him face everything by holding his shoulders in place. Tears run down his face as the three guys throw him to the ground, kicking him again and again, blood was running down from the cuts in his face and his whole body was getting bruises.

He could remember that day very well.

It wasn't anything special, not the first time they bullied him, not the first time he got kicked or deprived from food, it wasn't the first time he went to bed with an aching body.

It wasn't the first time he went to bed wishing he was stronger, faster, protected or even that he had parents or someone to shield him.

The reason he remembered it, however, was that he promised himself that he would never feel that kind of pain again, he made a vow that he wouldn't stand by and watch anyone go through the same thing as him and unknowingly... He prevented himself from feeling vulnerable since that day.