Prologue

Zei and Aoma grew up in an earth kingdom colony that had once been fire nation, but later moved to republic city. Their parents told them stories about the ruthless fire nation, but unlike the others, they did not hate the fire nation, they hated the bending. They thought that that was the real cause of the war, and they both learned to be chi-blockers to take away bending temporarily.

When they had their daughter they taught her the technique, and she excelled quickly. She became a better chi-blocker than both of them, and found new ways to use it.

Her parents understood she was dangerous, and they always thought, 'thank god she's not a bender.' Sadly, they were mistaken.

She was an earthbender.

She knew the consequences of doing earthbending, but she couldn't help it. It simply sucked her in, trapping her in it's hard clutches, and she loved every minute of it.

Then, they caught her. A ten year old Gwen was outside playing with her pet baby armadillo wolf named Silver, she was making rocks shoot up for Silver to chase; then her mother came outside. She froze at the sight of Gwen bending. Gwen, hearing her mother, stopped abruptly, but it wasn't fast enough. Aoma was furious. She felt betrayed. Then she started shouting at her daughter.

"Gwen! You were bending?!" This attracted Gwen's father.

"Bending? That's impossible! We are pure!" Zei said, sounding confused and angry. Despite her fear, Gwen scoffed.

"Pure? Pure? That is disgusting! There is nothing wrong with bending!" she stood up defiantly, shaking with anger, but also fear.

"No! I will not tolerate bending! You will leave and never come back!" Aoma glared at her daughter who had now frozen.

"Fine. Fine!" she chi-blocked her parents, knocking them down. She scooped up Silver and stormed inside the house. She sprinted to her room and hurriedly packed her things. With that she was out the door.

Her eyes scanned the street rapidly in search of a place to go. She couldn't find anything, so she headed in a random direction and walked.

It was nearly sundown and she still hadn't found a place to sleep. She decided to just sleep against a rock, so she sat down and Silver curled up in her lap. Gwen felt an awful pit in her stomach, and cried herself to sleep.

Lin Beifong was patrolling the park in the early hours of the morning when she stumbled on an unusual sight. There was a young girl, about 10 or 11, she'd say. And in her lap was a baby armadillo wolf. 

"Who are you?" Lin asked the girl, and she immediately woke up, her eyes darting rapidly around, taking in her surroundings. When she registered Lin she resumed a fighting stance, the armadillo wolf falling out of her lap as she did so. The girl looked even more frightened when she saw Lin's metal suit. 'She is probably scared because I'm a metalbender' Lin thought. The girl tensed up, eyes wide.

"M-my name is Gwen," she said, lowering her eyes.

"Well kid, what are you doing here? Where are your parents?" at the mention of her parents she burst into tears. Lin knelt down beside her. "What's wrong?"

"Th-they told me to leave and never come back! Just because I did some earthbending!" Lin was shocked. She had never thought anyone would do that to a kid, much less their own. Lin wasn't one for hugs but she embraced the little girl.

"I'll take you to my apartment. C'mon, you need it."

The picture at the top is Gwen, just her skin's a little darker. Also, I know her parents are dramatic, but I needed Gwen to be able to form a connection with Lin, one that's a mix of mother and daughter, and friends. I don't own ATLA or TLOK, just Gwen and her family.