Chapter Forty-Five | Gossip

VIVIENNE TOOK A bite of the pastry, swallowing the morsel of food. Across from her, Lady Westmorland demurely ate her breakfast, avoiding Vivienne's gaze and instead fixing it upon the column she was reading. The head of the table remained empty. Her uncle did not join them for meals often, it seemed like he was quite the busy man.

Over the last few weeks, they had settled into a sort of a routine. Lady Westmorland would eat her breakfast while reading, and Vivienne would remain silent and leave as soon as she was finished. Vivienne did not know what her aunt read and did not bother asking—it was unlikely for her to share it anyways.

The days were getting repetitive, as there was not much for her to do—or the more accurate statement would be there was not much Lady Westmorland let her do. The occasional disruption in her routine came in the way of her cousin, Grayson. He still had not warmed up to her, but they had come to a standstill. He was no longer placing toads or other peculiar items in her room, and she no longer divulged his hiding spots to his governess when she came looking.

Finishing off her pastry, she stood up and walked towards the archway. Just as she was leaving, a sharp voice stopped her, "you girl."

Vivienne spun around, assuming correctly that her aunt was referring to her as it could not have been one of the footmen.

"Yes?" she asked politely.

"What have you done," she seethed, anger apparent in her eyes. Her fingers were curled tightly across the paper, causing creases in the normally straight parchment.

"I do not know what you speak of."

"You think me a fool?" Her aunt stood up and walked over to Vivienne, the paper flying around in her hand. Clearly, whatever had gotten her aunt in such a fit was in that paper.

"If you would let me see what you speak of, then I could either agree or disagree with the accusation you throw my way." Vivienne said evenly.

Lady Westmorland thrust the paper towards her, and Vivienne took it, quickly reading the passage that had her aunt in such a fit.

Dear Reader,

Today's story is a riveting one about one lady's journey from riches to rags, and then riches again. Might I say, it is quite the tale and is sure to shake a few feathers of the ton. We've seen Lady Vivienne dancing around in society all season, but the secrets she hid may put a damper on the allure she provided to plenty of gentlemen. For a source has come forth revealing how she arrived into society in the first place. This lady has discovered that not only was Lady Vivienne a completely falsified persona, but she a maid in the Duke of Lennox's manor for quite sometime.

A maid, my dear readers, how absolutely horrid! I must admit my dear readers, I too, was taken aback upon gaining this knowledge. Lady Vivienne duped society quite well, but that is not the end of the tale as it would seem so. According to the same source, it was then revealed that Lady Vivienne is not actually her name, but she is presumed to be Selina, the long-lost daughter of the previous Earl of Westmorland.

This lady has learned that for a couple of weeks now, the lady has been residing in the home of the Earl, who was reunited with his niece after searching for her for quite sometime. However, my dear readers, the question I now pose to you is Lady Selina truly the one at the Earl's home? We've seen the descriptions of the cunning woman and whose to say that she did not taken advantage of a long-lost lady and take on her identity? With this parting note, I rest my case, but the Bow Street Runners might find this story particularly interesting...

Vivienne's hands clenched tightly as her skin went pale. She felt as though she was about to swoon.

"How did this get out?" Vivienne asked, her voice shaking. Only Fiona knew the truth and she was sure her friend had not shared it with anyone. Vivienne shivered upon hearing the last line about Bow Street Runners. Would they come for her and take her away?