Chapter 21- A discord

After the two royal bitches went away and were out of sight, Prince Francis turned to the royal guard.

In silence, he went to his side, as we, the rest of the audience, watched in eerie curiosity.

The guard on his knees and with his eyes glued to the ground, was no longer his smug self, sure now of getting punished by a strangely silent Francis. Feeling the need for it, the man muttered several apologies to his royal prince, but nothing seemed to influence the Sun heir, who continued to walk to his side.

When the boy, who was of the same height as the guy when kneeling, arrived close enough, he took from the man's armour the pendent of Royal knighthood from his chest. It represented the guard's position and his honour, which was now being taken away.

"The Royal family's name shall not be soiled by such a guard. I take your honour, Captain ... you don't deserve it. Go to the academy and wait for me there so I can finish your punishment." commanded Francis while he threw the pendent to the ground disdainfully. As the object rolled in the cold ground, prince Francis went even closer to the guard, turning his voice low and grim. "Be discreet and I may be a little lenient with your punishment."

The guard, knowing it was time to leave, got up and, in a flash, turned his heels to the Royal academy. Not before bowing to his royal highness, Prince Francis, who stood impassive at his guard distress.

Seeing a full-grown man sweat so profusely and become afraid of Francis, who was nothing more than a mere child, made me wonder if these princes could ever be themselves... children. They behaved way too much like adults when they were just 10. For some strange reason, I became restless with that sad realization.

This thought I carried until an indignant voice was heard.

"You have been too lenient with him. A lost hand would be the fairest punishment." said Cedric as he reached his friend and fellow prince. His steps were strong as to mirror his discontent.

I could see Wolff's attempts at calming his prince, with a slight push and a hushed tone. Yet it didn't matter as Cedric was not happy...

It seems he wanted a hand in return for the man's excessive force... but was it really necessary to go THAT far? I am sure Francis, being the more head level wouldn't go for such.... though I knew in the Moon Empire punishment could be severe, we were still at Sun Empire. And the man was of Knighthood, an important social level of society.

"And cause a scene? I think that is not prudent, besides his punishment is not yet finalized." Replied Francis, without his usual calm and foxy approach. No, he seemed on edge and his frown was deep on his features.

Wait... let's go back to the important stuff... A clean-cut of a hand was still on the table? What? Really? Ah?!

"Why are you always afraid of such things?! Lulu could have been hurt very badly! Besides, you may punish the guard, but we both know that is not where the root cause comes from." Accused Cedric in rispid voice.

"But she wasn't hurt badly and I can share some of the holy water to help with any pain." Said Francis as he reached for a small bottle in his jacket pocket. The sneer he got back from Cedric made him put it back on the jacket, the conversation was not over... "I will talk with Odette about her behaviour, just let's keep it low." His request was done in a mild tone, hoping to get some support from his friend.

"Again and again with that attitude! You know it's not just your sister! And keeping quiet until now has not helped Lulu in any way! Stop being so afraid of confrontation and deal with this!" Accused Cedric touching his friend shoulders. "Or I shall do it myself!"