11: The pool / squints's peculiar plan

Y/n's pov

We all met up in the middle of our street with our towels after we had gotten our bathing suits.

As soon as we got on to the pool's deck everyone jumped in immediately except for ham, who went over to all the women lounging on their towels.

He waved at them and blew kisses and "flirted"

"CANNONBALL!!!" He yelled suddenly, making a huge splash and all the girls scream from the water that got on them.

I laughed and high-fived ham.

The boys were all a blushing mess around me, probably from the fact that they had never seen me in a bathing suit.

Typical teenage boys.

Well, except for Tommy. He was only nine and had no clue why everyone was so embarrassed.

We all splashed around and laughed, having fun like normal kids at the pool.

Not like we were normal, though.

after a while, the boys all stopped and looked to the lifeguard.

Wendy Peffercorn.

Of course she was the lifeguard.

Me and yeah yeah looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

"Aw, man." Benny said.

For some reason, Benny apparently didn't own swim trunks and was wearing jeans that were cut off at his knees. (He actually wore those in the movie, like what the heck man☹️)

"Oh, too cruel." Bertram said.

"She don't know what she's doing." Squints said, then repeated it once more.

"Yeah, she does. She knows exactly what she's doing." Benny said.

"I've swam here every summer of my adult life." Squints said, taking off his glasses and rubbing them.

"You're not even five feet tall, squints. You don't have an adult life." I said.

"And every summer there she is. Lotioning. Oiling, oiling, lotioning! Smiling, smiling! I CANT TAKE THIS NO MORE! MOVE!" Squints yelled in frustration, pushing his way past us.

He swam to the ladder and got out, giving us a giddy smile as he walked towards the deeper end of the community pool.

"What's wrong with him? What's he doing?" Bertram asked.

He stopped walking once he reached the diving board.

"Three summers of this and he finally must've snapped." Kenny guessed.

"I don't know, But that's the deep end and squints can't swim!" Yeah yeah informed us all.

Squints stood on the diving board, shivering as he took off his glasses.

He waved at Wendy, then jumped.

Oh, boy.

"SQUINTS!!" We all yelled, swimming quickly over to the stairs to get out.

Wendy must have noticed our distress because she quickly chucked her sunglasses and lifeguard whistle to the side and dove in.

We all got out of the pool and went over to where Wendy was pulling him out of the water.

She then proceeded to do CPR on him as basically everyone from the pool watched.

Our group was freaking out more than anyone saying stuff like "come on squints" or "pull through squints"

We thought he might be dead when out of NO WHERE, squints opened his eyes and smiled that purely idiotic smile at us, like he was about to do something stupid yet great at the same time.

Wendy gave squints another breath but while she was doing that, squints put his hand on the back of her head, basically kissing her.

Well, it was more like shoving her face into his, but it was a start.

Wendy was finally able to get away from him and yelled.

"LITTLE PERVERT!" she yelled.

"Oh man, he's in deep shit!" I said.

Squints was pulled out of the pool by Wendy as we all followed beside them, then she pushed squints in the grass.

"and stay out!!" She said, flipping her hair and storming off.

Then, we ran away from the pool, all of us laughing and yelling as some kids threw us our clothes.

"Oh, yeah, here are your glasses. Hey, did you plan that?" Ham asked, handing squints his classic chunky black framed glasses.

" 'course I planned it. Been planning it for years." Squints replied.

"You guys, he planned that!!" Ham yelled, running up to the rest of the guys.

"Congratulations, squints, you're a man." I said, patting him on the shoulder.

"Really?" He asked, pushing up his glasses, which were slipping off from his nose being wet.

"No, I was just messing around. You'll never be a man." I said with a laugh as I walked back to our group.

We got banned from the pool for life that day, but it didn't really matter to me. All that mattered was that I had gotten to spend the day with my best friends, and favourite people in the world. And I wouldn't trade it for anything. Not even my dad's signed baseball from Babe Ruth. No, it was just me and my best friends. I had never had friends like that in my life. And I was grateful that I did.

Word count:800