Chapter 38

Chapter 38

When I fell asleep in Tyler's bed, I hadn't thought about the fact that I wouldn't have an alarm to wake me up the next morning.

So, as usual, Dad was the one waking us up.

Frankly, he didn't look very happy to have gotten out of bed either, and I wouldn't have expected otherwise.

"Come on kids, chop, chop! You have school," he announced and then walked away. I could hear him going down the stairs.

I turned around to face Ty and gave him a hopeful smile.

"Don't make that face Lex, I'm alright you know," Ty trailed and got out of his bed.

"Ty..."

"Please, can we just not talk about it right now? Or ever for that matter," he answered me and then closed his bathroom door behind him.

I sighed heavily and got up too making my way downstairs to fix myself some breakfast and then get ready to go to school.

"So, you're going to go to work looking like that?" I asked my dad teasingly, stopping beside him, in front of the coffee pot.

"I'm taking the day off. Going to go hit the green with Anthony actually. He's not working today," he trailed, scratching his head and yawned.

"That's a good thing," I smiled.

Dad needed a friend right now. I knew he needed us too, but he needed carefree moments also.

"Less talking more breakfast cooking," Ty yawned behind me and then I rolled my eyes and got the eggs.

And just like that our morning ritual fell back into step, like yesterday hadn't happened.

Denial?

Moving on?

I couldn't tell, but for some reason I wanted to settle on the latter.

As usual, I found myself running in the end, and shouting at Ty to get in the car already because we would be late and then drove to school, breaking the speed limit law.

Ty wasn't saying one word and didn't even try to change my CD playing.

That didn't sound good.

I had to do something about it. I would have to call Vanessa. If she could take a couple of days off from school to come here, I was sure it would cheer my brother up. Maybe she could come for something to do with the music group at school. Anything to have her around, so my brother might feel a little happier, and like some things could still be the same.

Vanessa would probably be okay with it. She'd enjoyed it. I knew she missed her friends.

I'd have to find a way to make that work. Maybe Blake could help me convince the principal or something.

It was weird to think about the fact that Blake could actually help me now, that I was close enough with him that it wouldn't feel weird to ask.

For some reason it made me smile.

We finally made it to the school parking lot and Ty got out of the car, still as silent as ever and walked towards the school, his hands in his jeans pocket, his shoulder hunched a little.

Yes, I definitely needed to convince Vanessa to come back here even for just a few days.

"Kitty! Don't you think you can get away from me now," Alex yelled, and then I turned and smiled at him, while he ran towards me.

"What's wrong? I'm not getting away from you," I told him, as we walked side by side towards the building.

"You know what I'm talking about," he said his voice dropping, lowering his head towards mine.