C H A P T E R 4

DOMENICO

I stare at the picture in front of me. A memory, that was now fading away from my mind. Dimitri, Damon, and I, who were the oldest, were the only ones who remembered our parents. The others were too young to recall them. They only saw pictures and videos of them.

There were other photos that I had of my parents. There was one that stood out of all of them. It was ripped right down the middle. It portrayed our mother, sitting in an armchair, holding our sister who was just born a few weeks before.

Raven.

When raven was just one year old, our mother had taken her away from all of us. Our father had been devasted for months and had been scared that we would all walk out on him.

Years after attempting to find them, our father always came to a dead-end. Mysteriously, our father died when on a mission. His right-hand man, Enzo, came and told us that he had died and that one of the oldest was appointed to be the new don.

Since I was the oldest, the others agreed that I would take on the role of being the new don. I had to train hard and block out certain emotions.

Our other brothers knew more about the mafia as they grew older. The two youngest, Theo and Tobias, had in mind that they finish school first while the others, Luciano and Lorenzo wanted to train. All except Luca. He was a wild child. He got into a lot of fights because of his anger. The older he got, the worse it would be so I introduced him to street fighting, which helped him out a lot.

I knew that being a good don meant that I had to be cold and ruthless but our father had neither of these characteristics.

Anytime he was on his way home, he would call us before arriving. Which gave us time to put up our 'welcome home' posters. On the outside, he was this fun-loving father, who would provide us with anything we wanted. On the inside, he was suffering badly, knowing that he lost the love of his life and a child that he loved equally.

Although our father died, I never gave up on trying to find Raven and our mother because I knew it was what our father would have wanted. And I knew it would also bring our family closure.

I'm brought out of my trance by a knocking on the door.

"Come in."

Dimitri comes in and takes a seat in front of me. He raises an eyebrow at the picture to which I quickly throw it into a drawer in the desk.

"You need to stop torturing yourself over this. I still believe that they are out there but you need to stop stressing yourself." I nod in understanding.

"What did you find out?" I ask calmly.

"I found out that the mole's real name is Valerius Estrada. He was seen exiting one of our warehouses. A few days after, he and some other associates were caught stealing a lot of our weapons." He remarked.

I take in the new information that I was just given. Elias Perez or as we know him now as Valerius Estrada had been working with us for months. We checked his background, everything about him but he was clean. I don't know how I let this happen.

An unknown gang had been sending their Associates to spy on us. I often held them captive to get information but they would always refuse. We even went as far as to threaten to kill their family members but they still didn't give up any information about their whereabouts.

"We tried to capture them but the only one who we caught was Valerius. He was shot and now he's being treated at the hospital downtown. Guards are also surrounding the place so he doesn't run off."