16. Revenge

"Don't you think it's a little late for a walk around town?"

The ring tumbled from her fingers, rattling against the cool cement. Hannah turned slowly, the hollow feeling in her chest had vanished.

The pounding of her heart was nearly deafening.

Tony was the nightmare kids hid from. He found his home in the shadows of empty streets, praying on anyone foolish enough to cross his path. Like all monsters, Tony was quick, silent, and clever. His feet hit the ground as he walked towards her, if Hannah wasn't facing him, she'd have no idea he was even there. Her enemy strolled towards her, a friendly grin on his lips, a playfulness in his eyes.

Tony was the worst nightmare any child could imagine. When children came to their parents, crying about the monster in their closet, they were waved away. How could he, a clean, responsible young man, be responsible for such horror?

The worst nightmares are the ones that look human.

He came forwards, hands outstretched and reaching for her. For a moment, Hannah was nine again. Mistakingly placing her trust in the boy who cornered her in the alley, saying he was a friend of her brother's. Hannah told the truth then, she didn't know where Dallas had vanished to, but she knew he'd be back soon, that is what he said, after all. The hours stretched into days, which stretched into weeks. The fact became clear. Dallas wasn't coming back. Tony had realized this too and became determined to find him.

Like he said, Tony didn't care how many people he had to hurt in order to make Dallas bleed.

Hannah turned and ran.

Her feet thundered against the pavement, her heart ached as the icy wind ripped the breath from her lungs. The scent of rain carried in the wind, electricity hid in the clouds.

She was running from a ghost, Tony's footsteps were soundless. She wouldn't know if he was still chasing her until it was too late.

Can't go to Buck's. I can't go to the Curtis house. He's gonna find them, and he's gonna hurt them. Come on Hannah, just keep running. Just a little longer.

She sprinted down the unrecognizable streets, pleading in her mind for a miracle. The wind plastered her hair to her face, her neck and cheeks slick with sweat.

Too late came much too soon as her boot caught on a chunk of uneven cement. She was flung forwards, her hands and knees beginning to bleed as Tony neared.

In a panic, Hannah turned onto her back, desperately trying to climb to her feet. It was no use, all she had managed to do was scrape the palms of her hands until her blood stained the concrete.

Tony was in front of her much too quickly, his hand rested under her chin and raised her face to his. "It's very impolite to run when someone is talking to you, Hannah."

He pulled her to her feet effortlessly and drug her towards an alley only feet away. Hannah squirmed in his grasp in a feeble attempt to free herself. Once they were in the alley, she would be invisible to anyone walking past.

Tony dropped her to the floor and stood in front of her, blocking her only exit.

"Dallas is gone," she whispered. "He just got on a train. You missed your chance."

Tony knelt beside her and brushed the hair back from her face. "And where did he run off to?"

"Huston, Texas," she lied. Tony tutted his tongue as his fingers traced her jawline. "Why are you lying to me?"

Her voice was weak as she pushed his hands away. "I'm not lying. He's gone, Tony. You lost."

His dark laugh matched the thick clouds rolling overhead.  "You're cute, hun. Do you really think this has nothing to do with you?"