Ulla

A few more weeks passed since the Lantern Ceremony, and the Demanitus Device was near to completion. Varian was taking his friends' advice and making sure to take breaks from work. This was partially due to their concern but mostly due to his frequent visits to Old Corona to see his father. He wanted to show him, and maybe ask him about the research he had found which he thought belonged to his mother.
Quirin was understandingly shocked by this discovery but grateful to whatever force above that he had more of Ulla to share with his son.

"So...mom did research on the Dark Kingdom?" Varian asked, taking a seat across from his father, in the kitchen of their home.
"Yes..." Quirin smiled at the memory, "It's how we met."
Varian's eyes widened and he leaned in as if to ask his father to expand.
"She would often wander the outskirts of the Dark Kingdom after the evacuation. I was posted there to keep travellers out, since the moonstone's magic was too dangerous..." Quirin looked down at Ulla's work, "I remember the first time we met very well..."

He wore black steel armour with a matching helmet, and carried a sword on his hip.
He had been assigned this area on the outskirts of the Kingdom to patrol; beyond the Gondola lift which bridged the chasm surrounding the castle.
He had nothing to report so far. The land surrounding the Dark Kingdom was barren as ever.
Quirin actually quite enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Suddenly, he caught glimpse of movement out of the corner of his eye. His hand hovered over his sword and he waited silently for a sound. There was nothing.
"Who's there?" He asked in his deep, harsh voice.
More silence. The man let out a sigh and turned to walk away.

In a split second, there were footsteps and he whipped around to point his sword at the source of them. The man's eyes widened at the sight of a beautiful young woman with red hair and freckled skin. Her blue eyes examined him, curiously. Considering she was only a young woman, who likely wandered too far without realising, Quirin lowered his sword.

The red-haired woman took this opportunity to swing the heavy-looking book she was holding at the man's legs. The attack caught Quirin off-guard and he stumbled. The woman ran towards the Gondola while he was distracted.

Quirin composed himself and ran after her, "Entry into the Dark Kingdom is forbidden!" He yelled to the woman as she climbed the scaffolding to pull the cable cart over.
"Then they should've put a better guard on the job!" The woman yelled back to him, a smile on her face.

Quirin climbed the scaffolding and swung a sword at the red-head. She moved aside, and when he swung again, she used her book to block the blow. To Quirin's surprise, his sword bounced off of the book with great force, and the cover glowed green.
"Magic..." He muttered.
"Come on, big guy. I just want a little peek at the moonstone." The woman laughed, joyfully.

Quirin furrowed his brows, "I cannot allow that. The Dark Kingdom is a very dangerous place." He swung his sword at the woman again. To dodge the swing, she moved from the wheel which pulled the Gondola.
"Isn't that what makes it fun?" The woman grinned and ducked down out of Quirin's line of sight; since his helmet obscured his view.
He pulled it off and threw it, looking around for the woman. She jumped onto his back and wrestled him down. Quirin grunted in the struggle to reach her, but his armour wasn't very flexible.

"You're persistent, big guy. What's your name?" The woman asked while still fighting Quirin to the ground. He was a bit preoccupied resisting her to answer.
Eventually she had bested him, waiting until he had used all of his stamina before pinning him to the ground.

"Not bad, but I'm better." She grinned and the man scowled at her.
"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" He asked.
"Well, I would've happily explained if you hadn't pointed a sword at me like a mad-man." The woman's blue eyes crossed to look at a loose strand of hair, which she blew out of the way.