Chapter 22- A sibling squabble

Francis walked at a fast pace while being careful not to be too noticeable. The afternoon had proven to be a handful for him and he was tired from all the work his mother and sister, unwittingly, had created. But at least the guard had been taken care of. He won't talk about it. Without his tongue, it would be hard anyway.

Some more steps and he arrived at his sister's quarters. He had been uneasy since catching the book lady Jennifer was so against her sister taking a peek at. To think that something like that would be on the Royal Library for anyone to see... Francis wanted to burn it, yet that was not possible. It was part of the Royal archives and... more... it was a reminder. A chilling reminder.

He passed some servants and guards with brief acknowledgement, and since that day, he was on the edge. Today, due to all the commotion, it had turned even harder for him. So Francis was not in the mood for pleasantries, even with his family.

He had to convince Odette to help her from a fate that would only bring her bitterness.

He went to her tearoom, where she was having her night tea, relaxed and blissfully unaware, as usual. Upon seeing him, she exclaimed in excited tones a greeting, telling him to sit next to her on one of the red cushioned chairs.

Her hair was still somewhat wet, which Francis believed to be because of her late-night swims in the pool. It was a normal activity for her during the tropical nights.

"Little brother, bright sun of the Empire. What brings you here at such an hour?" Asked Odette, her golden eyes flickering with the luxurious candelabra on top of them.

Though the tone was friendly and sweet, Francis knew that she, like their mother, was very protective of her place. Appearing without invitation was hardly ideal and only possible because he was the prince. She was so much like their mother, but also, unfortunately, her situation was quite similar. Or worse.

"Yes, sister. I have come to talk to you about the happenings of today." His words were calm but resolute.

At this, some servants come rushing to serve some tea desserts to him. The siblings went silent during this exchange, letting the maids pour the tea and arrange everything, so Prince Francis would be served as he should. While this happened, Francis shooted a glance to Odette, who simply concentrated on choosing another cookie to nibble, never once glancing back at him.

He knew then she was not interested in what he wanted to say. Yet he needed to say and would, for her own good.

"What happened this afternoon to make you so rilled up to have you come here nag at your older sister?" She said jolly while reaching for her teacup, now free of the preying ears of the servants.

Again with a harmless tone, which meant the opposite.

"Odette please... you know what I am talking about." He pleaded as he watched her take a sip of the rosemary tea she loved. Odette continued her drink like she hadn't even heard him before, taking her time to put the teacup back to the table. Only then, after a minute of silence, did she return her glance to him. Her golden eyes burning in intensity, yet without a word from her.

"You can't be like that to Lady Lucreatia. You cannot continue to be on the wrong side of the Mountnero family." He explained, knowing full well those golden eyes were not interested in it.

"She is not a Mountnero. The only Mountnero present this afternoon was Lady Jennifer." Odette was now smiling warmly, though her voice carried an edge on it.

Francis didn't like her complete disregard for his warning. And he hated, even more, her downright support to Jennifer.

"You are so against Lady Lucreatia, but you don't see the danger with Lady Jennifer." Those words caught Odette's interest as much as increased her confusion. It was enough to have her forget the tea that grew cold on her cup.