PROLOGUE

South Korea – March 25, 2003

The night was still.

The full moon was in its highest position up in the sky, although its light could not be seen – thick clouds covered every inch of the inky sky, the silence of the night eery when in combination with the shadows cast along the ground when a cloud shifted, barely there for a moment before darkness ensued. The waves gently caressed the shore, the sound of them breaking over the rocks hardly heard with the little power they had.

The closest source of light came from a cemetery build by the sea, little candles and lanterns lighting up the night. The houses were situated further away – the village was small and no one wanted to live that close to a cemetery anyway. The island was small enough the few people that lived there could choose where to build their homes.

A gentle breeze made the leaves of the few trees by the cemetery swing back and forth lightly although they stopped shortly after, leaving the night still once more. The clouds shifted, moonlight shone through. In the waters, something glistened.

The clouds covered the moon as quickly as they had uncovered it and the glistening disappeared from view. The next time the clouds parted, it appeared closer to the shore. The light stayed for a while longer. It was enough for the creature's arrival to be revealed.

It swam beneath the surface, causing no ripple as it moved. It had a tail that glistened much like the belly of a fish, it reached the creature's waist and then it changed into an upper body that very much resembled a woman's. The creature swam closer to the coast and when it was close enough to the rocks, its head broke the surface.

Her skin was fair, dark, wet hair sticking to her head and mixing with the water, floating in the surface, it seemed, the same shade as the inky waters beneath. She lifted her hands on a rock, lifted her body up, revealing her sparkling tail, longer than her upper body by a long shot—it was almost twice as big—colored dark green as if it were part of the ocean. For a moment the creature waited, her eyes wide, pretty and dark, and then she pushed herself further up in the shore, waited for a moment, and under the cover of the clouds, she started shifting.

Her tail disappeared, giving way instead to two legs. She spared no moment once she transformed and instantly headed deeper in the land, right for the cemetery.

The creature—a woman—seemed to know exactly where she was going even though she had never been in this graveyard before and she had only ever set foot on this island once.

Her mother had warned her against coming here. What good will it bring to visit him, Bada? she had asked when she had told her of her decision to swim to the island and visit the tomb of someone she had hardly ever known. What if they see you?

Bada had been confident in her abilities, though. And so she found herself here, slipping in the cemetery in the late hours of the night, down the graves until she reached the one she had wanted to see.

Park Jeonghui

Underneath was a picture of a young man smiling at the camera, eyes almost invisible with the force of his smile. Bada swallowed hard, trailed her gaze away from him, focused instead on the date written on the marble.

March 21, 2003

That date had never meant anything to her before. Park Jeonghui had never meant anything to her before either. But he was dead now. And it was her fault.

Bada spent another moment watching the grave and then she turned, walked back to the entrance of the cemetery, crossed the short distance to the coast, passed over the rocks and dove in the sea.

The clouds covered the moon. When they made way for the moonlight to shine down once more, she was nowhere to be seen.

Hello, everyone, and welcome to Enchantress!

A little fun fact about this book is that I had started writing it about two to three years ago, having taken inspiration from a song titled "Enchantress", from Two Steps from Hell, if anyone wants to check it out, maybe. I hadn't written anything about it in years, and then, a few months ago, I thought of a way to keep on writing it, changing the oc's backstory so it would fit the original plot a bit better. And so, I found the will to start from scratch and keep on writing this story and I finally published it.

In this book, there are three characters, some that appear more than others, each based after -cieuxgris, asxhodels and looneylaury respectively. I didn't plan for this book to have so many of my friends in it, only -cieuxgris was supposed to be in it, actually, then things happened, I guess. No matter how they came to be, though, I'm rather glad with how this has turned out and I hope you think the same.

Updates for this book will be every Saturday and Tuesday. I can't wait to see you all here, and I hope you like the story as much as I did while writing it.

Love, Olga