Chapter 29

Raindrops fell on his fingers as he stayed by his window, hand extended, lost in the intensity of the weather. Droplets, as sharp as spikes were cold against his hot skin but it failed to keep the fire burning inside him down.

Nothing could make him forget what he had lost. His identity, his career.

Edward had minded whenever Mr. Blake credited his brother, Elvis for the works he had done, for the things he had achieved for the enterprise he had invested his time and energy upon. Atddition to that, he had a sense of accomplishment keeping him motivated. He establised himself as the core, the one Mr. Blake wouldn't discard.

Now that he was proven wrong and Mr. Blake had fired him, Edward was on edge, and for first time out of strategy. Since the last past a few weeks, he had been shuffling around either at mansion or the penthouse.

The knock on his door snapped Edward out of his glooming thoughts. Turning back, he saw Elvis standing at the doorway, wearing his night suit.

Edward nodded to come in and walked over to the couch.

“Why aren't you at the office?” Elvis inquired, sitting on the adjacent couch. “I haven't seen you lately. In fact Martin is now heading the project which was yours.”

Edward leaned over to his cabinet, pulling out a bottle of scotch and two glasses. “I don't work where I'm not needed.”

Elvis pushed back his brown hair. “What do you mean you're not needed there. Come on, Edward. We are not just brothers, we are partners. You need me, I need you.”

Edward pushed down the glass and poured the liquid. “Who said I ever needed you?”

His brother was offended. “What is up with this behavior, huh? I get that you're a little broody sometimes but that doesn't excuse you for being an asshole.”

“Good talk,” Edward finished his drink. “I'll see you in the morning, and certainly not at the office. Stop expecting me there.”

Elvis ignored his drink and looked baffled. "And why shouldn't I expect you at the office?"

Edward stared silently for a few moments before answering. "You should ask dad."

"I did." He said without missing a beat. "He gave me the same answer."

Edward chuckled in disgust. "Ofcourse he would."

"Are we done playing hide and seek or not, Edward?" The younger brother was seemingly pissed, falling short on patience. "What the hell is going on? And I'm not leaving without a proper answer."

"I'm fired, Elvis." He spilled finally, glancing at him in menace as he raised from his seat and strided toward him. "And since it's not abundantly clear, I must confess you are the center of  my mess."

"What are you talking about?" Elvis stood up as well, standing in front him, glaring eye to eye.

"Oh come on!" He shouted. "Don't tell me you never doubted how shady our father is. A two faced snake to be precise. He uses people like tissues. Use and throw."

Elvis sharply looked over. "Shut the hell up. Dad is not—"

"Not a bad person." Edward mimicked, finishing off for him. "Ofcourse he feeds you with a silver spoon, tricking you into believing it's all him, taking care of each one of you. But it is?"

"That's bullshit. I know you have a knack for manipulating others." He shot back. "Like right now, trying to pin your fault at me. I'm not the center of your mess. It's you, always complaining if things don't go your way."