17 | Surprise, Bitch!

Audrey Garcia

"Miss Garcia is asleep right now, I'm a friend of hers. You can tell me and I'll tell her when she wakes up." I wake up to Carlos' voice, on the phone with someone. I'm laying down with my head in his lap and he is seated up on the bed. "Why is something wrong?" Carlos asks with sorry in his voice, "Okay, we will be there right away. Thank you." He rushes.

Carlos looks down at me, "Looks like you're already awake." He smiles brushing my hair out of my face, "Get up, mi amore, they need us at the hospital it's something urgent apparently." Now I'm the one starting to worry. I'm still abit dizzy from getting drunk off champagne yesterday but I get off of him quickly and rush to get changed.

By the time I'm in and out of the bathroom dressed and ready, Carlos is already downstairs. I run down the stairs and find him by the front door. He holds it wide open for me as I quickly walk out and he follows right after. We make it to his car and he drives us to the hospital as quick as humanly possible.

The car ride felt like a decade long. With every second that passed by my heart beats harder than before. I was worried it would pop out of my chest for a second there. During the ride to the hospital Carlos saw me panic, I had a gut feeling something terrible had happened and my gut is never wrong. He played Brooklyn Baby by Lana Del Rey, one of my favorite songs, to calm me down. He also rested his hand on my thigh and rubbed the side of my thigh with his thumb in circles.

Now, 10 minutes after that, we are standing in the hallway right outside the room my father is in. I look in the room, wanting reassurance my father is okay only to see the opposite of what I wanted to see.

I start to shake and my tears are forming as I stare, speechless, into the the room. Carlos must have noticed how I'm acting right now because he stands behind me and looks up at what I'm looking at.

I break down into tears, sobs even. Carlos is still staring inside, in shock. He doesn't say a word. "Maybe this is the wrong room." Carlos whispers, with hope he is actually right. For a second there I have hope this isn't my father's room, but then a nurse with red hair and blue eyes, same nurse as last time, walks out with an expression that is killing what little hope I have left.

"Miss Garcia, right?" She asks, looking in my direction.

"Tell me this is a joke." I cry. I don't think she even heard what I said from the loud sobs I'm letting out, "Tell me he is alive!" I start yelling.

I look back into his room and stare at the monitor recording no heart beat whatsoever beside my father's bed in which his body is fully covered with blue sheets.

I can feel my heart beating in my throat. I'm suffocating. Every cry I let out is choking me. It feels like the air in the room is closing in on me and I'm breathing off nothing. Infact, I can't breathe. I'm hyperventilating.

I'm starting to get dizzy. Dizzier than this morning after getting drunk. I trip back and grab into Carlos for support to help me stand straight. I feel like my knee lost all its strength in helping me stand up.

"He got rushed to the ER again a few minutes ago, and..." She looks into his room, unable to look me in the eyes.

"I'm sorry, he didn't make it." She sighs, "I'll leave you two alone." She turns around and walks away.

"Audrey.." Carlos whispers.

I'm grabbing onto his arm, tightly, and let out a sob into his chest. My head hurts, my heart hurts. I feel numb.

I can't breathe anymore. I'm dizzy. Dark spots are taking over my vision. All I see a black.

︎᯽︎᯽︎᯽