Chapter 6

"Hello," I said as I walked inside the courtroom, greeting Rohan and a familiar face from office, the name of the person, I didn't remember. My heart was beating violently as I took in my surroundings. First job and I'm already at the court. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was finally happening.

"Hi, it's good to see you," Rohan said as he stared at me before realising it was creepy and he turned away.

Rashi was here too with her family. My heart broke as I stared at her battered form, she looked a little better than the other day but still so broken. I realised that my pity and sympathies were not something she required because while rape victims do want to be consoled, they don't want to be looked at as someone who was fragile so I smiled and waved in their direction before taking place next to Rohan.

"Ah don't worry, I've got it all under control," a familiar voice, a voice that belonged to a person I loathed a lot reached my ears. I stiffened and I felt Rohan's concerning glance my way.

I clenched my fists as I turned to stare at the man, he too seemed to turn in my direction the same time and he must have recognized who I was because he stilled and smirked in my direction. This time Rohan straightened his back and shifted a little closer to me and pressed a hand to my back, noticing that my breath was coming out a little quicker.

The man in front of me was a little older than the last time I'd seen him, I opened my mouth to say something but my brain had seemed to have frozen.

"I see a familiar face," he casually muttered to no one in particular and sat on the table that was on the other side of the room.

"Sanjana, do you know him?" Rohan asked a little hesitantly.

"Not well but enough to know that I would probably murder him if he and I were alone," I said and Rohan cast me a concerned glance and he opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted when the judge walked in. I noticed that man's smirk widened and I didn't need to know more to put two and two together.

"Son of a bitch," I muttered under my breath and Rohan looked at me again.

I wrote a small chit and passed it to Rohan.

"No way, judges don't take bribe," he said.

"Trust me, I know what this man works like even though it is my first year as a practicing lawyer, however we have enough evidence to win this one," I said.

°

"Sir I would like to question Ms. Rashi," that man said and Rashi looked at us hesitantly before I nodded my head.

She did the usual process of the court of swearing by Geeta before sitting down on the chair that they had provided for her.

"So Ms. Rashi, you were married to Mr. Ajay for a month I suppose,"

She nodded her head.

"How many times has he physically abused you?"

"I don't go around counting that but enough times to be counted as domestic violence sir, he has even tried to sexually abuse me," she said.

"Rashi, when you're married and your partner and you are intimate, it's not called sexual abuse," he said with a sly smile and my fists clenched and I stood up to say something but Rohan's hand came around my fist and stopped me.

"Sex or I suppose being intimate it when your partner is willing to be intimate, but when one party says no and the other still does so, it's called sexual abuse," Rohan said.

"We didn't ask for your input Mr. Rohan," the man said with a smirk before he continued his questioning with Rashi.

"Why when all the other times you didn't do it and on that day, you recorded the whole incident? Were you purposefully trying to make him angry so that he would beat you? Were you looking for the trouble? Was this all your plan?"