The Twins

Wayne woke as the door to his room creaked open. His twin brother, Devyn stepped into his room. Devyn wore his usual black fur cloak and studded leather armor. His red eyes glowed slightly in the darkness of the room. He stood in the doorway a moment. He stood five feet and eleven inches tall, slightly taller than Wayne. He looked malnourished, his skin pale as a ghost. Like his brother, they both had black hair that grew to shoulder length. Both had similar gaunt faces, inherited from their father.

"Wayne, it's time. I can't go any longer," Devyn said as he pulled out a small case and flask from his pocket.

Wayne sat up in the bed as he groaned and began rolling up his sleeve. Needle marks ran down his arm from the previous times they had done this. Devyn saw the marks and frowned slightly.

"We've been on this boat too damn long. I'm going to starve out here," Wayne said as he looked at his brother.

Devyn was preparing the needle and hose for the blood draining process. With a steady and sure hand he connected the needle to the draining hose. He pulled the top off his steel flask and stuck the drain tube inside.

" I know, we are almost there. Hold out a little longer and I'll buy you all the ale and food you can eat... I'm sorry we had to resort to this," Devyn replied.

" It's fine, hurry with the needle. I'm getting tired again," Wayne groggily replied

Devyn quickly finished attaching the hose to the needle and began the process of sticking Wayne with the needle. He hated having to leech off his brother to stay alive. He felt like a parasite slowly sucking away his brother's life. Though he knew Wayne would gladly give his blood for him, it still felt wrong in his mind. 

" I curse our father for his vampiric blood. If only I hadn't inherited the bloodlust like you," Devyn whispered as he watched the blood flow from Wayne's arm and drip into the flask.

" I understand brother. I am truly sorry for your hunger, if I could I'd give you my accursed eyes instead," Wayne said as he pointed to his eyes.

They glowed red as the Hex curse inside his pupils spiraled round and round. Devyn got the chills when he stared into his brother's eyes. He had seen the creatures his brother was cursed to see through those eyes before.

" I wouldn't wish for those damned eyes. You know better than anyone that those blasted Hex symbols bring nothing but pain to you," Devyn replied.

Devyn finished filling the flask and pulled the needle from his brother's arm. Wayne began to drift back to sleep as the blood loss had drained his energy. Devyn stared at his flask for a few moments.

He muttered to himself." Thank you, brother." And sipped the flask.

Devyn then quietly slipped out of the door careful to shut it behind him. The ship, The Sanguine Moon, began to rock as the waves began to rise. Devyn stepped out into the ocean air. It was dusk, the ocean air was chilly. The ship was enchanted to sail itself, one of the few things they inherited from their father. Devyn leaned against one of the ancient timber masts. He enjoyed being on The Sanguine Moon. She had been his home for many months now. Her old boards comforted him as he heard them creak under his feet. The back and forth motion of the ship kept him light on his feet as he adjusted to their movements. He headed to the front of the ship, leaning against the bow railing. Devyn looked to the horizon hoping to see land.

" Damn, we should be there soon little brother."

Wayne woke a few hours after his brother had left. Wayne got out of his bed and began getting dressed. He put on his leather armor and strapped his long sword to his hip. He had been waiting for the night. The sun burned his eyes, unlike his brother who could bathe in the sunlight.