Wattpad Original
There are 48 more free parts

BONUS ~ uncertain

adjective ~ not known or definite; unable to rely on

PHOENIX

My alarm blaring had me groan and force my eyes awake. Rubbing my eyes, I realised I slept through the first alarm and cursed. I wasn't sleeping well; the thoughts of my mate in another room that wasn't mine were killing me.

Her room was below mine, and despite being soundproof, I found myself tuning into her through the bond. She had slept peacefully whilst I lay awake overthinking. The only thing to calm me was the sound of her breathing as she slept safely in her bed.

I dragged myself out of bed and walked myself into my en-suite. Stripping off my boxers, I turned the shower on and waited for it to warm up. I brushed my teeth whilst I waited, and then grabbed a towel from the cupboard by the door.

I made quick work of washing myself, having to leave out shaving for today, since I was so late. It's what I get for staying up till 3 am thinking too much. Even the glare of my phone as I tried to play a game didn't help blur my vision.

I dried off as much as I could before wrapping the towel around my hips. Making my way into my closer I stared longingly at the empty rails to the right. One day, I hoped, they would be full of her clothes.

I chose a white button-down shirt with grey trousers and a black belt. I rolled the cuffs to my elbows and checked my form in the large mirror. Passable for today, I think I mainly had paperwork and a video conference.

I slipped into black shoes and grabbed my phone as I made my way out of my bedroom and down the hall. I entered the passcode to leave my floor and descended the stairs quickly.

When I came to her hallway, I was surprised to smell her not in her room. I checked my watch to see that it was me who was late since it was 7.30. I started my mornings at 7 lately so I could finish earlier enough to watch the sunsets with Nova.

As I hit the bottom floor, I caught a glance of her through the hall window walking round the side of the house. I smiled to myself as she chewed on an apple, happy she was still eating something. I reached my office a couple of moments later to find Charlie already standing laying out papers.

I greeted him politely, knowing how grumpy he could be in the morning. My thoughts were confirmed when he grunted at me in reply.

"I need you to sign off on these pack referrals. I've already written out the forms and fill in the basic details." He mumbled.

"For?" I asked, pulling out my chair and sitting down.

"The two girls who found their mates wish to transfer to their mate's pack." He explained, pushing it towards me.

I nodded and scanned the names; Terri Lowrey and Vanessa Richards. "Got it."

"Also, you need to decide what is happening with your mate's brother. He has asked to stay here three times now; I think he's getting impatient. They leave soon."

"I know," I grunted. "I've had more important matters to deal with. The rogue attacks are hitting our neighbouring packs, they took five girls Tuesday morning from Blue Stone. Three more from Wolfsbane two weeks prior. It's getting too much of a concern, but King Edward won't let me do a damn thing yet."

He shook his head. "You need to push it harder Phoenix. You're his nephew-you can do that, no one else can but his family."

I grimaced at the thought. "Don't you think I've tried? It pains me every day to know innocent girls are being taken and forests burnt to crisps. Wolves have tried to follow and lost the scent!"