I'm Back

Bela wasted no time and called Miranda once she fully entered her makeshift home.

Miranda picked up.

"Good. Now you can go back to the village. I will pay for the plane ride back to Romania."

Bela waited for another response, "Goodbye. I will see you again." and then gone.

Miranda hung up and now the only thing Bela can hear over the line is the soft beeping sounds every now and then.

She puts the phone back down.

She can finally go home.

-----

The next day Bela went back to the building and went straight to her division head's office.

She explained why she didn't ride the ship and it went so long but it was worth it as the head allowed her to leave from the job when she mentioned Miranda.

The head didn't actually say she's fired and she also technically didn't say she quit, so she thought maybe one day, she can return to her job of endless paperwork. It got fun after awhile, anyway.

She shakes her head. It's too late to dwell on the past.

Her walk through the halls was nothing unusual. But her intent on leaving and not coming back for another day of work is the difference between the usual and the unusual.

She looks around, just now noticing how the place actually looks like.

It's all white, the floors, the walls the ceilings–even Eveline's enclosure.

But she knows there's no use checking the child's enclosure when she knows for a fact that she had left.

The halls were more boring now that Alan is gone. She would usually always bump into him in hallways.

Unlike Alan and Mia, the other scientists and employees were just...normal. There was nothing special about them in any way. Bela can't say she's special, but she is when she's in the human world. Although her fly powers arent really that special back home.

But while she was thinking about the events before the ship departed, she saw familiar heels from below, walking on the same hall and walking to the opposite side, from where she came from.

Bela glanced up and saw the same Asian woman from last time.

Bela's legs wanted to pause, stop and talk to this woman.

She didn't think about it before but now that she thinks about it, the woman said something about 'suspicion'. Are they suspicious of Miranda?

The woman glanced back at her and for a minute Bela swears–she saw amusement and victory in her eyes. She was smiling.

By now Bela darted her eyes back in front of her and didn't dare look back behind her. The clicking of heels didn't stop either, which is the only proof the woman is also walking away.

Bela sighs under her breath. Why is she scared again? Is this anxiety?

If it is then she should probably already be hyperventilating. Good thing she doesn't have lungs...

She shakes her head again and finally, makes it out of the building with no more interruption other than a few questions from other staff about why she's quitting. Lying was the simplest task to deal with them.

Soon enough, she was already on the airport.

The last time she's seen a plane was when Miranda brought her there. That was at least 8 months ago. It felt longer, though.