Eight

"Are you ignoring me again?" he asked as I closely listened on the other end of the phone.

"I was just saying goodbye to Sydney," I said grimly, annoyed at his moodiness. "Are we always going to be like this?"

I heard him sigh before his tone smoothened. "Are you done? I'm already downstairs."

"What? You are here? I thought you are busy," I replied breathlessly. I couldn't see him after that quick kiss this afternoon. I flushed just remembering it.

"I want to see you, so I came," he replied sincerely, making me wonder how he looked right now.

"What..." I trailed off breathlessly. I cleared my throat as I tried to put more volume on my voice. "I will be right down in a minute," I stated softly before ending the call. I knew it was futile talking some more since we would see each other, anyway.

I quickly headed down the lobby, feeling my heart pick up its pace. I took a deep breath before heading out of the lift to face the inevitable. When I got out of the building, my eyebrow scrunched together as I eyed the empty pavement in front of the company building. Did I dream about that phone call?

As I was about the reach for my phone to check, a familiar black SUV pulled up in front of me. I stiffened for a second as I stared at it. When the car parked in front of me, I snapped out of my trance and quickly walked towards it. Before I got within a foot away from the passenger door, it opened and revealed its passenger.

I grimly stared at William and then scanned the slightly busy sidewalk to see if someone was looking at us. When I felt sure that no one was looking, I hastened my pace and jumped in the car before William could consider going out to meet me halfway.

"I thought we already had this talk about being seen too much in public," I stated sternly, pursing my lips in disagreement.

"There aren't paparazzi around, Andy. Those guys don't have the free time right now since my sister is getting married," he said dryly.

"Which is a good reason why you should watch your back more. Your family would be a hot topic leading up to the wedding," I countered in disbelief.

He opened his mouth to reply but shut it back as he saw the weight of my words. He eyed me for a second, analyzing my expression before he sighed in defeat. "I get what you mean, and you are right this time."

I watched him in surprise, a bit taken aback by his quick agreement to my views. "Wow, this is new. You are agreeing quickly after one round," I stated smugly, a smirk tugged at the end of my lips.

"Don't get used to it. I only agreed because you have a point there." He chuckled in amusement. That moment was gone when his expression turned serious again. "So, that would mean they'll probably follow me around again this week," he pointed out knowingly.

There was a short silence in the car as Mark drove quietly in the night towards my apartment. I hope it was where he was taking us right now. We couldn't afford to go anywhere together if there was a possibility of my gut feeling being right. Then I remembered our lunch together this afternoon. I stiffened as I searched my memory for someone who looked suspicious enough to be a journalist. I couldn't have this all over the front page of the daily paper after what happened last time. It would be difficult to deny something that was actually true now.

I let out a sigh of relief as Mark parked the car in front of my apartment although I felt disappointed that William and I aren't staying longer together. I lingered for a few seconds on my seat while trying to think of a way to say goodbye, but before I got to say anything, I was shoved back as an arm wrapped around my waist.