Chapter Ninteen: Family Fun

In just two weeks I've become the maids worst nightmare, and their favorite child. A rash of mysterious and unsettling pranks have swept through the castle. No one is safe. I've even had to pretend to be a victim of my own sometimes vicious sense of humor to assure that Bela doesn't rat me out, well intentioned as she is.

At dinner Cassandra's girlfriend found a whole mouse in her drink which was also the wrong wine. Daniela was horrified to find her rabbit had been dyed green. Fortunately that washed away and turned out to be nothing more than grass stains. When Bela went to play a little piano for mother she discovered all the strings had been wrapped in yarn from stem to stern. Even mother was pranked when she seemed to suddenly begin growing rapidly, or rather someone had been shaving down all the furniture in her room.

Between my wicked plotting I make visits to Aunt Donna whose mind is still not fully recovered, though she is doing better, and grandmother Miranda, who has strongly considered sewing my mouth shut.

In exchange for spending time with her Miranda has agreed to fashion a horse or a horse like mount that can support mother. It certainly won't look like a horse and it will require me to grow yet another heart, but it'll be worth the sacrifice.

"I know you're not overly fond of your uncle, but we need his help. I can plant a cadou in a living or a dead body but we haven't the framework for either," Miranda says, coming her fingers through my hair, "Have you considered cutting your hair short?"

"Take it up with my mother, I'd love that," I sigh heavily and rub the scar around my neck left my not so beloved uncle. Then I remember the pictures we found when we went into mother's room when she was gone. She looked so happy and so proud. God only knows how long it's been since mother has had a hobby. Besides smoking, paranoia, and grief. "Fine. I can set my hatred aside, temporarily."

Unfortunately my loss of blood and the growing of the new heart and the time taken to form another cadou takes time. Time away from home that mother notices and does not approve of.

"You're not leaving."

"Mother-"

"No, that's final. And I've warned all the maids of what should happen if they think about helping you," Mother says, "Your sisters miss you and I worry."

"I'm with grandmother Miranda, what could possibly go wrong?"

Rather than argue, mother scoops me up and carries me to the den. Bela has taken to rereading all the books in the library and Daniela is asleep at her side. As usual our sister is missing, probably off in bed or a dark corner with her girlfriend.

I try again, "Mother, wouldn't it be nice to be able to ride a horse again?"

"Iulia we've been over this, no horse could carry me."

"Let's say we found the world's largest horse-"

"Iulia enough!"

I know I've really done it when she taps me on the head with her cigarette holder. At which point I finally stop trying to convince her. At least for now.

Several days go by before I figure I'll try again but by then grandmother has lost her patience. She turns up in the backyard with three horses and a large pony.

Daniela snickers, "I wonder which one is for you." I stick my tongue out at her.

"Mother Miranda what is the meaning of this?" Mother hisses, "I explicitly told everyone not to give my daughters pets of any sort. I'd expect this more from Heisenberg."

Miranda rolls her eyes, "One of your daughters is more stubborn than you are, an astonishing feat really. Iulia and I and your least favorite brother put together a gift for you."

The horse that comes walking around the side of the house is only horse like in shape. The skull and bones that were used are an unholy amalgam of goodness knows what. The skull, I believe, is that of a moose. Also at the center are metal bars and joints to help keep the creature together. The fur is extremely short and the sutures are hideous but will hold. For those I had to get lessons from Aunt Donna about sewing which resulted, more than once, in sewing my finger into my work. It's a dark color all over with orange eyes that have a faint glow to them.

Mother is speechless. The beast is easily bigger than she is. She removes her glove to pet the fur, marveling in how warm and soft it is. Her eyes soften as she turns to me. I smile.

"Thank you dear, it's gorgeous."

"We can keep them?" Bela grins while Cassandra doesn't seem nearly so enthused.

"Yes. But you'll need to learn to ride first and then we'll need to scout some safe trails-"

"Yes!" Daniela pummels me in a hug that lands us both in the snow, "Thank you thank you thank you!"

"However," Heisenberg comes around the corner leading an enormous shaggy dog on a leash, "No horseback ride through the country is complete without a loyal hound. You're welcome Alcina."

As soon as the leash is dropped it comes trotting over to sniff and lick my face since I'm the shortest available person.

"Thank you Karl, I'll think of an adequate way to show the depth of my appreciation at a later, unexpected date," Mother mutters.